Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Gwynn
Senior Contributor

Nightmares and psychosis?

I have different nightmares every night since my psychosis and was wondering if this is normal, and will they ever stop?

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Nightmares and psychosis?

@Gwynn  Hi Gwynn all I can do is give you my experience. When I was deep in psychosis I would wake up during the night in the middle of a nightmare (the same one) and perform this bizzare, sadistic ritual and then go back to sleep again. It went on night after night until I had the right mediction.  I am sure that everyone is different though. Hope they stop for you. Love peaxx

In other ways, my medication seems to be the right medication - maybe I need to go back on the mood stabiliser for the nightmares, but that makes me sleepy through the day. I'm a lot better than I was, though.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4542515/ - apparently it's not uncommon, which is something at least. I had hoped it was my brain healing, but this seems to think it's a bad sign.

@Gwynn  Hi Gwynn yes I am on mood stabilizers and they give me insomnia some days and other days I cannot get out of bed but hey at least I am not dreaming these half nightmares/half hallucinations any more. It is a tricky one. I have schizoaffective disorder and I think it has done permanent damage to my mind (I think my pdoc thinks the same lol ...) I think the mind (what do I know ....) takes along time to heal and can make different pathways but other times cannot. I know this though my pdoc said that left alone it destroys the brain..... she was being blunt with me and I have no reason to doubt her words.

Was she talking specifically about nightmares, or schitzoaffective disorder in general? I've raised the nightmares with my psychologist and she doesn't seem to think they're a big deal.

@Gwynn  I gather she was talking about mental illnesses like schizoaffective disorder which is not properly treated with medications. This was her opinion I am just the messenger. When I told her about my vivid hallucination type dreams she just looked very concerned and yet not surprised. I think she meant the more all the issues are controlled the better off the patient's outcome will be.

Hi @Gwynn ,

I used to have the weirdest nightmares before I was diagnosed.  Once I started taking medication, the nightmares stopped.

P.S. I have schizoaffective disorder.

@greenpea @catladybookworm I heard back from my psychologist today and she says they're not proof that I'm having a relapse of psychosis, so yay! I don't need to fear them as a symptom, I can just treat them as bad dreams.

Hey @Gwynn ,

That's great news! I'm so happy for you!!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance