Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Munchies

oh yeah, the munchies, great thread idea @Appleblossom.

My munchie favorites in winter are rason toast (and if I am feeling particualalry hedonistic) with blackberry jam on top. Whittikers Peanut Butter chocolate. OMG!

and ... I am in a flare up at the moment bad one, everything hurst and I reckon it mught be my huge sugar habit so I am rying to cut back on the amounts I stuff. Wish me luck! 😛

The Red Dahl Soup sounds super @Mazarita, I have copied the recipe, to the 'must cook file'. The cooking class sounds interesting, hope you are enjoying it?

I discovered past few weeks I have a massive intolerance to Barley, I made up a huge pot of yumm veggoie soup a few weeks ago, ate that over a few days for lunch and felt pretty icky but thought it was stress. Made another huge pot up a few days ago - and ended up being really, really ill. So no Barley soup for me, dammit! I loved the taste and texture, just not the result!

utopia
Senior Contributor

I love Dal. I make mine with yellow split peas & I add all the Indian spices. Love the aroma in the kitchen when I'm cooking Dal. Might cook some up tomorrow

Dutch cinnamon cookies ... speculaas ... my downfall tonight Woman Happy

Maybe raisin toast next week Woman Embarassed

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Appleblossom....

Thank you for the mention - sorry for the delayed response....

Thursday was my partner's 40th birthday!! (I met him when he was 27!!) We had amazing, filling buckwheat pancakes with fruit compete & coconut yoghurt at a vegan cafe! I wish more people would try the vegan lifestyle - you don't miss out on good food that is for sure!! 

Tonight we had burgers - homemade chickpea burgers, beetroot, baby spinach, relish & tomato. 

I've been struggling lately, so haven't had the energy to post much - feel like mental illness keeps making my life smaller & smaller. I also feel like a horrible, unloveable person. 

Last week I went to yoga 4 times & tomorrow I will go to my 4th yoga practice this week. My yoga instructor keeps encouraging me telling me my yoga is beautiful & I have come a long way in the last few weeks. Yoga is keeping me sane at the moment - like glue keeping a broken, traumatised person together....

I read a triggering book recently "Me Before You" - it has just been made into a movie, which I did not see. I find movies & books with suicidal characters & themes very triggering & actually think they need a warning on the covers.... I haven't seen "Helen". I have "the Dressmaker" to read now - I really enjoyed the movie. 

@Mazarita - glad you enjoyed some cooking!

Good vibes & healthy food to all...

Namaste,

A

@Former-Member its so good that yoga is helping.  I like some of the deliberateness of the movements and being on the ground.  We spend so much time in standing up or sitting postures.  Glad your teacher is good too.

I need to go back to some regular body work ... I have been mainly focussing on just holding myself together and letting those routines go ... just a few small stretched and exercises each day as I remember.

I have eaten in vegetarian restaurants and have seen vegan ones are taking off online, but not had good enough excuse to try them yet.  Maybe one day.

Being in a stable relationship is a big deal and its a great way to celebrate it. my son likes his meat when we eat out ... but the other night he insisted I make a vegetarian meal and is doing that more and more ...

It is hard when low self concept hits us ... how do we distinguish yuck feelings from behaviours.  All I can say is keep keeping on.  Unfortunately there is a lot of trauma all around us and we have to find our own reasons for doing things.  Is your partner pressuring you?

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Appleblossom,

Thanks for the reply...

Some vegetarian meals is a good start...

No my partner isn't pressuring me as such - it's complicated... He thinks running puts me in a bad headspace, he hardly ever let's me drive out of fear I will hurt myself, he doesn't support me going back to university while I'm still on a lot of medication, he discourages friendships (seems to think I'm socially retarded - at least that is how it feels...) - my life feels small....

I hope you are able to get back to some regular body work soon x

Namaste,

A
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Appleblossom, where ya been? Missing you 💕

SPANAKOPITA recipe

image.jpeg

Filling:

• 1kg fresh spinach, washed, dried, trimmed, and coarsely chopped
• 3 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 bunch spring onions - trimmed and finely chopped
• 2 cups crumbled feta cheese
• 1/2 cup finely grated Greek kefalotyri cheese or Parmigiano-Reggiano
• 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
• 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh dill
• 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
• 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
• sea salt

For the assembly:

• 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil for brushing - or more as needed
• Eighteen sheets frozen phyllo pastry, thawed and at room temperature
• 2 tsp whole milk

TIP:
Phyllo dries out very fast and becomes brittle when exposed to the air. Keep between two slightly damp tea-towels while working.

Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 180deg.

Make the filling:

Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add a few large handfuls of the spinach and cook, tossing gently with tongs. As the spinach starts to wilt, add the rest a few handfuls at a time. Cook until all the spinach is wilted and bright green, about 4 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the spinach to a colander set in a sink. Let cool slightly and squeeze with your hands to extract as much of the remaining liquid as you can.

Wipe the pan dry with a paper towel. Heat the oil in the pan over medium heat. Add the spring onions and cook until soft and fragrant, about 4 minutes. Stir in the spinach, turn off the heat, and let cool for 5 minutes. Then stir in the cheeses, eggs, dill, parsley, nutmeg, and 1/2 tsp salt and mix thoroughly.

Assemble the pie (pita):

With a pastry brush, lightly coat the bottom and sides of a large baking pan with some of the oil. Working quickly, lightly oil one side of a phyllo sheet and lay it in the pan oiled side up and off center so that it partially covers the bottom and reaches halfway up one side of the pan. Lightly oil the top of another phyllo sheet and lay it oiled side up and off center so it reaches halfway up the other side of the pan. Repeat this pattern with 4 more phyllo sheets.
Next, lightly oil the tops of 3 phyllo sheets and layer them oiled side up and centered in the pan. Spread the filling evenly over the last layer.
Repeat the oiling and layering of the remaining 9 phyllo sheets over the filling in the same way you layered the previous 9. With the oiled bristles of the pastry brush, push the edges of the phyllo down around the sides of the pan to enclose the filling completely.
Score the top phyllo layer into 24 rectangles, being careful not to cut all the way through to the filling. Using the same pastry brush, brush the milk along all the score marks (this will keep the phyllo from flaking up along the edges of the squares). Bake the spanakopita until the top crust is golden brown, 35 to 45 minutes. Let cool until just warm. Cut out the rectangles carefully along the score marks and serve.

That is a scrumptious recipe FaithnHope

Woman Happy

.. sorry .. tagging not working

I used filo a long time ago and luv it .. but eventually settled for puff pastry. It is easier as I dont need to oil it .. I will use 2-3 cheeses ... often ricotta ... not a purist about recipes ... thinking about that oven ... gotta check model nos ... and measurements and ..

Gave my son a whole carrot today for entree ...whereas I would have tried to make a pate or something difficult ... now it has to be healthy and easy.

getting more healthier but probably eat too much ... that is why he has to get out and about .. for the good of both of us .. lol ..so I dont cook more Woman Tongue

Thanks a million @Faith-and-Hope!
It's on the menu this week. 😀💕
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance