Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Munchies

Hi @BlueBay, don't envy your journey of late. Don't suppose you'd believe me if i told you it does get better?

With you're mother in law, this is difficult on family. I've done a fair bit of aged care nursing, and my dad has early dementia, its sad to watch their mind go before their body. Try to remember the spirit is deep inside them, taking everything in with clarity, & your visit is valued, even though they can't communicate that to you.

I've seen patients emerge out a place i thought they'd never break through again, 'windows of clarity' we call them, often brief though and, the shutters would close & they'd disappear into that world again.

Sometimes, even in the middle of the night when we do pressure turns they'd come out and say the most amazing things. But, by the time i get a minute to go sit with them to talk - they've gone back into their shell again.

Just keep doing what's right, but keep it short to self care as well. Its amazing how strong you really are with all you're handling. Be gentle with yourself 🌷 .
Angels333
Senior Contributor

Hi @BlueBay

I understand about the dark moods. I totally get you there, I have had some very low days too.

Sorry to read about your MIL, make sure you soothe yourself after a difficult time visiting. Sometimes seeing loved ones in such a state can be so draining

On the whole I think I have a long way to go.

I hop3 this week treats you better ♡

Glad to see all the posts. I just came home from lit festival.  It has been a good weekend.  My son is out and about.

I was a naughty girl and grabbed a 4 pack of ego magnums at the supermarktet, scoffed 2 on the drive home, but hadnt eaten all day.  There are 2 in the freezer for my boy.

Maz soup sounds good but we all need to break out sometimes.

Heart

Thank you @Former-Member

I think i will keep my visit to see her to every few weeks.  My husband does twice a week after work. And we now keep our visit to her to about 30-45 mins because my husband can't take anymore than that.  It probably sounds terrible but that is all he can handle.

We know it's her dementia that is talking and not really her - but it is still hard to see.

Trying to stay okay tonight; it is draining.

@Angels333

I will try and be gentle as today has been hard seeing MIL.

I hope this week is better than last week.

I also hope that you have a good week too 🙂

Its natural your hub wants to visit his mum more often than you.  Hope he is a big enough boy to see that and still appreciate that you make the effort every few weeks.

I made the lentil soup for the first time at home tonight (only made it once before in the cooking class). Turned out really tasty and heaps left over for reheating and variations through the week. But I think I'll do it without barley next time as it took a lot longer to cook with that in it. The optional onion is a yes for me though. What a miracle, me cooking. It's thanks to writing out the recipe here that I got motivated enough to do it tonight. Thanks for starting this, @Appleblossom (and partner says yay too).

Former-Member
Not applicable

That's awesome @Mazarita. Well done😊💜🍲

Thats like I was reminded to try offering hot choc again to my son becasue of the thread in carers forum

I am frying chicken up in coconut oil at the moment to throw in the slow cooker.

They are easy and yummy to work with too.

But also reflecting on social change ... as coconut jars are very prominent at the supermarket but were not when I was growing up.  Once my dad bought us a coconut .. it was a weird enough food for me to remember it before we went in orphanages ... it was another sigh of his normalcy and love.

Hi everyone

I am so much comfort eating right now.  Cheese and onion chips.  And the quicker I eat them the more I stuff in my mouth.  This is so bad. But yummy!!!!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance