Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Overthinking

Does anyone else overthink too much?

It's affecting my life incredibly!
I can't rationalise in my head that the thoughts are too much. Then I just spiral because I've overthought a situation to the point of making myself sick!

One situation in particular.. a friend (whose been helping me), told me Friday afternoon that she's going to be offline for a couple days dealing with a family matter, she told me to still text when I need but she prob wouldn't reply!
I know she's just busy, but in my head, I've come up with a thousand different scenarios that she's giving up on me, that I'm bothering her too much, etc.. she's my biggest supporter so I feel sick at the thought of not having her support ever again, even though during the week she told me she would never give up on me!
I hate feeling like this! I hate that my mind goes to the worst places.
How do I stop it?
5 REPLIES 5
TAB
Senior Contributor

Re: Overthinking

Not sure @Former-Member ..with me the worst is making decisions sometimes ..doesnt always happen re me and overthinking, but often, think its anxiety related for me as in new situations, or just too much not much going on, so do a small thing to nth degree ..somehow lately have been telling self just to accept the way things most likely are with rels etc eg and it seems to go away. As in I may think something is not right, but mostly these people never meant me any harm, ok the opposite, so that seemed to stop 'whatifs' in that situation ..well, after they had a decent run around haha lol

Former-Member
Not applicable

I overthink ,and always been indecisive,can't make decisions,if I do I procrastinate and regret.I have paranoia as well wondering what people think of me,how they are gossiping, that's overthinking.Sunshine 1,your friend told you what was going on, that means something,not just snobbing you without telling you.I don't think I can stop mine,it is fed on our isolation and feeling vulnerable and alone. That's why I shut a lot of people out because I couldn't cope or had the energy for the way people and relationships affect me.Try to learn the difference between support and managing your condition.I got too dependent on a mental health nurse,and it was traumatic,when it didn't end well.Thats when I learnt,the relationship was not helping,or healthy.

@Former-Member. A good way to deal with over thinking is to write down what the person said. Then write down what YOU think they mean. Then write down what the chances are that what YOU thought is realistic or not. Howllikely is your idea?
It takes practice to do this. It's retraining the brain to look at a situation in its most logical way.
It sounds like your over thinking has become your normal state. Your default setting. So it will take a while to retrain your thinking.
Do you see a therapist? They will be able to explain and show you how to do this.
There are also good books you can get from the library on Cognitive Behavior Therapy.
There is nothing wrong with you. Your brain muscle is just used to thinking this way. But just like with body muscles - through exercise you can improve your thinking to make life easier for you.
I wish you well. Let me know how you go.

I don’t know how to stop these thoughts either, I’m having similar problems. My friends, and boyfriend are always hanging out they never invite me and I’m always left wondering overthinking what they might be doing. Feels like my boyfriend could be with any chic even though I know he would never do that my Brain gives me all these thoughts it’s starting to get beyond the point of bearable. I only just joined this forum, I really hope someone could help me, anyone have any advice on how to slow down these overthinking thoughts?😕

hi @Shaylajade and welcome!
thank you for sharing your story here, i can see this member has left so this thread pretty quiet, do you think you would be ok in creating a thread for yourself so that we can support you better?

Your also welcome to join into any thread you feel comfortable with and we also have an 'introduce yourself here' thread too with some fun questions
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance