Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Being my Own Best Friend

Thanks for responding here @Tinsel  - I only just opened this conversation on Monday I think - and I am still absorbing what people have added

Yes - we all do to step back from other people to tend to our own requirements at times and we need to be their 100% for ourselves and it is strange that our parents never taught us this - for me it was like - we are your parents and you will do what we say and vote for whomever we say and go to the doctor when we say etc and this is such a puzzle for young people - we get out into the world unprepared - and sometimes find ourselves to be parents to hopefully not repeat the past - 

But where do we start?

It does start with self-care and so great that you have a sister-friend as well as a sister you can share your history with. We weren't taught to care about ourselves - in fact - it seemed to me I was punished for being a girl - maybe even for being born - and who made the choices about us? Not us - if it was our wven parents' after all

So we have to learn - luckily self-care is being taught to the public through different media - I am glad to say - but when I have been told to do something nice for myself -  I have wondered what that would be - now I have a few ideas

Sometimes it's really easy like having a bubble bath - let's be practical this Christmas and buy a little present for myself. Preparing a meal just for myself is  excelllent - I live alone and although some meals are basic now and again I do something really different and hopefully

I was annoyed when my mother told me to stay home and look after my family one day and the next to get a job to help my husband when actually I was working and I just ignored her and went on with my life - which included years doing my HSC and then a university degree part time - and - people kept telling me that this was all too much for me and to stop - I continued and now have an Honours Degree and none of those nay-sayers are in my satisfying life now - which included as lot of writing

So - it comes back to pleasing ourselves and often ingoring other people.

One dramatic thing I did was to change my name after I seperated from my husband - I took a different family name because it pleased me - I was not seeing my parents at the time and when they found out what I had done - it was WW3 - what a row - and  I don't have any tats or other modern mysteries - 

It's not easy to take a role in life to please ourselves even when it really isn't anyone else's business - or breaking the law or whatever - we might end up rather alone but a proverb reads "It's better to live on the roof than to share a house with a nagging wife" 

I love that one

All the best Tinsel - I love your user-name btw

Dec

Re: Being my Own Best Friend

😂 @Owlunar  thanks I'll be sure to send that proverb to my dad I'm sure he hasn't heard it or he'd be using it.

I think it's important to acknowledge that a best friend may not always say what we want to hear, and for me right now, my 'best friend self'

Is making sure I get up every morning and  do what I need to do to get better.

Unfortunately I can't share with my friend and my sister about a lot of things related to my mental health because they don't 'get it' (which is why I'm here now) or I can't burden them with the details, which are too much even for me at times. 

So hopefully, between you guys and 'my own best friend' 🥴 I may possibly find a better trail to walk than the old one

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance