Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: A new start (kind of)

hey @MDT , how was your psych appointment today?

Totally understand that you're feeling weary with trying. Totally get it. I had given up entirely when I heard this weird noise and it was my mobile phone. Weirder still, it was someone inviting me to do a job interview. "They must have made a mistake!" I thought, then "wow how exciting!" I thought. It had been weeks since I had submitted job applications and I had given up all hope. Then I got a call. After a whopping 7 years of unemployment - how did they not notice my gaping hole of 7 years in hibernation??

So don't lose hope, my friend, it takes time. People interviewing for jobs have to go through all sorts of processes and it takes weeks, especailly in the bigger organsisations. You'll get there. It is tough waiting and if you have depression it is bound to lead to thoughts of depression and even hopelessness, that's the nature of negative thinking. But stick at it, you're a very valuable person to have in the workplace with a proven track record of outstanding outcomes (your old students!!) so go ahead with confidence that you're an asset to any employer.

hello also to others on the thread. @TAB how are you going today?

thanks @BryanaCamp
I appreciate your support. I totally see what you are saying about waiting and patience.

Today's session was good. Two central things came out of today. Firstly, my psych gave me one of those career inventory quizzes. You answer a bunch of questions and then it posits you in a certain direction of where to go - that's going to be quite helpful.

The second thing was realising that a lot of my angst around employment stems from a negative experience when i was younger with regard to work. Something that always creeps in. so I'm doing up a list/notes on certain thoughts and negativity I have around this whole area. I think this will reap some good fruit.

@outlander @Zoe7 @TAB @Shaz51 @Appleblossom @Sam3 @utopia

that's really good news @BryanaCamp I got a call for a few days work today, but I have long booked and hard to get appt tomorrow morning so its a bit too hard basket 

Hey @BryanaCamp  Glad you got out for your hike Hon - and I had a giggle at you eating sugar afterwards - that is the kind of thing I would do lol 

I am definitely not here as much since I have been back at work but try to respond to as many posts as I can when I get home - but only generally if I am tagged.

I hope your big meeting (interview) went well - look forward to hearing all about it when you can fill us in Smiley Very Happy

@MDT It does sound like your appointment was very worthwhile today. It is great that you were able to talk about some of this employment stuff and hopefully it gave you a new perspective on things.

it did indeed @Zoe7

Currently just doing some applications. Aiming for 3 today by c/o/b (5pm) lol.

Did you post up in your thread for today? although i dont think you teach on wednesdays?

Posted in ANC @MDT  but it isn't my thread just one I post in most often Smiley Happy

@Zoe7 I'm also going to polish up some of my essays I have submitted in the past. Just to get them ready, and apply for think tanks, internships etc. While I'm thinking of it, I can do that on the side I think.

@BlueBay over here my friend 🙂

@MDT  Reading some of your posts. 

That sounds like a really good idea @MDT Will keep your brain moving as well but remember to take breaks from it all too. Our brains also need to replenish and doing the same thing day after day can be monotonous and bring us down too. I think you are getting much better at balancing all this and that is good to see - you really do have so much going for you (remember I have read one of your essays and loved it Smiley Tongue) Keep doing what you are doing - something will fall into your lap when you least expect it buddy Smiley Very Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance