Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Walking for Wellness

Ok @Fluttershy1 

I just checked back on the topic Tuesday thread and it is you with the heart condition.

It's important that you only do as much as is approved by your doctor. I don't want you making your condition worse. Just listen to your body and go gently. 
My husband just had stents put in - in May - and afterwards he would get worn out very easily- he was told to sit on the couch for 4 weeks so I want you to expect to be doing nothing after your operation for a time. Try not to get frustrated by that. There will be plenty of time for exercise after you recuperate. Please talk to your doctor before doing exercise to make sure it's a good idea.

Proud of you though. You are awesome!

Meggle

@bipolarbunny 

I am sure there will be days that I will fail at achieving my goal and that is partly the reason why I started this thread. To give me added motivation and accountability which increases the chances of following through. However I am not planning to beat myself up if something happens and I don't get it done. I am trying to realise that I don't have to be a perfectionist about everything. In the past I have been all or nothing so if I can't do something perfectly then I end up doing nothing at all. I see how this has held me back.

Meggle

@Oaktree I hear that my friend, I am very much an all or nothing person something I am working on. Something a friend once told me always sticks in my mind. She said, "Progress over Perfection" and progress can mean having a day off if you need a mental or physical break. So if I miss a day I can't do my training I think well that was meant to be a recovery day and they are just import to your mental and physical state. That way you don't feel like you've failed if you can't get out for a walk etc. Another thing I do if I feel down about myself, I think of where I was a month, 3 months, 6 months ago. And if the answer is, I am fitter & healthier today than I was back then, that gives me some perspective and something to feel positive about. Hope that helps. 🙂 xx

BB 🐰💙

I've just chilled out this evening @Oaktree 

feeling really tired 

@Peregrinefalcon - here you go, thanks for Tuesday. Erk erk 😝

Hey @Oaktree - I went for a walk today and then I went shopping with my support worker. I had a lot of fun!! 
360D1B72-1480-4D71-92A6-0C84C532526E.jpeg

I went for a short 10 minute walk this morning with hubby but the weather was bad today and I spent some time moping so didnt manage to get my 30 minutes in... hopefully I will have better luck with it tomorrow.

edit - had a bad mental health day today. Something was said which hit an emotional bruise and I plummeted into a downward spiral that I couldn't pull out of. Including this to keep track of if my mental health impacts my physical activity goals.

Meggle

Hi @Oaktree @Fluttershy1 @bipolarbunny @Shaz51 and all walkers

I'm very impressed by your efforts. It's been too long (months) since I regularly got outside for walks or gardening. I'd love to set an interim goal of 30 mins/day, hopefully building up further in time. I'm sure it would help my depression and Vitamin D deficiency. I wonder if I could manage it for 40 days - long enough for it to become a habit?

I live in hope.

Dimity

Welcome aboard @Dimity 

A goal is a fine thing but don't let it set you up for failure. I am all or nothing and missed my 30 minutes today. I have to shake that off and try again tomorrow. All the best,

Meggle

Thanks @Oaktree. I'm a terrible procrastinator so need an inspiring goal to overcome my inertia.

Thanks for starting the thread, you've done well.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance