Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Employment and Mental Health // Tues 8th June, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

Hi there, been reading and catching up. I have worked in so many jobs I can't even keep up with self. I seem to require constant mind stimulus or I just get bored and lose interest. I have been a teacher ( special education) an Assistant in nursing, bar manager and the rest. I am currently working in the the public sector. I am studying and working full time. My studies are dip in community mental health. I really struggle keeping still, then I burn out and crash. I wish I could find a happy medium. I have never told my work place tgat I have bipolar 1. 

Re: Topic Tuesday // Employment and Mental Health // Tues 8th June, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

@Daisydreamer 😁👍

just started my sister @BlueBay xxx

a) Have you disclosed your lived experience in a workplace? Who did you disclose to? And how was it received?

There have been a number of times when I have disclosed about having a “lived experience” in the workplace. At first when I was first diagnosed with a mental illness I was particularly guarded and wary of telling anyone about my condition. Some of this may have been due to “self stigma” but I also felt to protect myself against losing my job. Over time as I came to accept my condition more, I began to share when and if appropriate, especially if it helped a fellow colleague who was going through a difficult time or to help educate others, while breaking down some of the stigma surrounding mental illness in the community. 

The people that I mainly choose to disclose to included work colleagues that I had come to know well, trusted and had built rapport with. At times when there might have been much happening in my personal life or where I may no be coping as well with my mental health, then I might also share with my Manager or Team Leader.

Most people that I disclosed to about having a mental illness were quite receptive and positive and sometimes even opened up themselves about themselves or other relatives, partners or friends who had a mental illness. Most were understanding and accepting while a couple were surprised as I was performing “so well” despite the work that I was doing and would not have guessed that  had a “lived experience”.

Hi all! Smiley Very Happy

@Shaz51 wrote:

Please feel free to introduce yourself and let us know what you are most interested to get out of the discussion tonight? 

I'm interested to know who it is exactly that assigns you your job; or who relocates you when you are in an inappropriate job. I know it isn't regular therapists.

I've been hearing about "occupational therapists". Do they do it?

Also, how do we make really, really sure that we are being given the right job that will really give us what we need out of life (i.e. strong, lasting friendships; relationship opportunities; peace & quiet; freedom to be creative; stable routine; scenic environment; chances to make meaningful differances; tangible outcomes; community prestige; ect., ect. - we are all differant and have differant needs, don't we?), rather then just being half-assedly assigned a job by some therapist who doesn't really give a crap about us, just so they can say: "There! I gave the unemployed patient a job so that now they have a paycheck they can use to sustain their life with. Problem solved!" ?

Good evening everyone,I served my time as a plumber but I have worked mostly in the civil construction game as a pipelayer/machinery operator,I have not worked since my diagnosis

Hi @Daisydreamer 

stsrted A new job 3 weeks ago supposedly 20 hours a week. Three weeks later they e cut my hours to 8 after employing two juniors who have taken my hours. 
I feel used, discriminated  and terrible. 

@Rebel I used to work and work and work - every waking hour was work in some way - finding now that happy medium between work and life ...still working on it but it has been life changing for me.

Yeah @Ultravox  i disclosed my mentsl health to my new employer on day two after not able to go in because my anxiety was high. I should never have told them. 

Welcome @BlueBay and @Rebel 🙂 We have only just started, so feel free to jump in and share your thoughts to the questions

You've worked lots of different industries @Rebel. Not sitting still is something I can relate to 🙂 My family often call it "burning the candle at both ends" which can be rewarding, but as you mentioned also exhausting. Over time have you found ways to manage the burnout
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance