Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Career Chat // Feeling overwhelmed at work // Friday 14 Oct. 12 pm AEDT

Hi @Former-Member the cognitive side of MI is always a challenge ...

mindfulness ironically is meant to disengage you from your intrusive thoughts ... 

But I agree with you it's not for everyone - other strategies such as @Kurra suggested are actually great because they engage you cognitively (writing a plan etc) and provide an alternate outlet/distraction.

Great !! Let's review alternatives ...

So for those who don't like mindfulness-

• writing things down,
  • listening to music that is soothing (helps nervous system/ brain activity),
  • talking to someone (take on new positive thoughts/alternative action),
  • doing exercise (shifts cortisol),
  • guided meditation (obviously during a break!!) ...

Anyone else do anything different? 😊

also sorry to hear you're having trouble with DES @Former-Member ... 

And Breathe @Renstar @Former-Member @Former-Member!

Self talk ... Anyone do it? I mean the positive kind ...  it's also great when you're hurting psychologically 

I love this Ted talk by Guy Lynch it's indirectly related and has a great section on self talk ...

https://www.ted.com/talks/guy_winch_the_case_for_emotional_hygiene?language=en

Yes @Kurra totally yes, breathing ...  let me tell you about the importance of breathing with intention ..

it is centering,

do it like this ... count 4 breathing in, hold for 2, breath out for 6 x 5 times.

It restores your para sympathetic systems ... See below

'The parasympathetic nervous system is one of three divisions of the autonomic nervous system. Sometimes called the rest and digest system, the parasympathetic system conserves energy as it slows the heart rate, increases intestinal and gland activity, and relaxes sphincter muscles in the gastrointestinal tract.' 

Hmmmmm

@Renstar, I'm not sure if this is 'positive self talk'. But one thing I find helpful at work when I'm having super negative thoughts, is something my psycholgoist taught me- she got me to rationalise the negative thoughts and write them down. So instead of 'I'm a failure', I had a card with 'I am often successful e.g....' And having that card next to my computer so I could look at it each time I was stuck in my negative thoughts was helpful.

Absolutely @Former-Member, this technique deals with NATs (negative automatic thoughts)

I think writing things down then reading them to engage you cognitively is perfect.
Awesome share thank you thank you !

In practice having the alternative thought written in front of you is ideal ... Whereas asking people to 'come up with' positive thoughts whilst they're IN THEIR NEGATIVE thinking state may not be as realistic...

Anyone else use this technique? 😊😊

Now that we have come to the end of today's forum I would like to sincerely thank @Former-Member@Kurra@Former-Member@BlueBay  for all your contributions today ... I think we have made some great discoveries in regards to what works and what doesn't and for whom!

For those of us who enjoy mindfulness please use it at any time during the day when you're feeling overwhelmed make sure you find a quiet spot, take time to breathe, centre and reconnect with yourself/surroundings rather than your often distorted/intrusive thoughts 

For those who prefer active/cognitive activities ... Do have things written down that remind you that your thoughts can have an alternative, more positive slant and take time to write a plan in the morning / during your day, including what you need to do also chunk down your tasks and consider the various activities that were suggested including meditation and recreation 😊😊

Finally - Have a fantastic weekend and catch up with you next Friday same time 

Hi @NikNik and @Renstar

Can we do a session on reasonable adjustment? I'm still struggling to find a balance of work and down time and how I can incorporate that into a normal workday. Would be great. Thanks.

@Former-Member - great idea!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance