Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Patches59
Senior Contributor

Psychologist vs psychiatrist

About 7 weeks ago my local dr referred me to physiologist for CBT for PTSD and placed me on medication.  First 2 sessions with psychologist were completely taken up with going over timeline I had typed up summarising details of each event during the last 50 years.  3rd session I was feeling upset, psychologist spent the session trying to calm me down, talking about theory behind trauma and fight, flight, fever reactions. Also talked briefly about 3 different ways people view and react to situations.

few days later I had most recent review with local gp who has doubled my med dosage.  Local dr said he thinks I might be best working with psychiatrist due to my PTSD and has asked me to discuss this with my psychologist and ask her for her thoughts.

Im confused.  After having seen psychologist for only 3 sessions local dr is talking about referring me to different type of therapist.  I don’t understand.  During the last 50years I have experienced 25+ traumatic events and have only once received some type of help which was about 15years ago and was only for couple of years mainly focusing on one specific event and my lack of ability to cope at that time.

anyone experienced similar?  Any experiencing with different therapists and which was found to be the most helpful?

31 REPLIES 31

Re: Psychologist vs psychiatrist

Hi @Patches59 , I'm sorry to hear you've had so many traumatic events in your life 😞

Your GP might feel he needs more professional help in treating you regarding the meds.

The psychiatrist is for prescribing medications only. Unfortunately they don't bulk-bill and are usually very expensive. (Mine costs $195 for 15 minutes, or $295 for 30 minutes, but I get a little back each time from Medicare.)

The psychologist is for talk therapy and counselling. That can continue for you, I assume. The psychologist is partially subsidised by the government for 10 sessions per year. Your GP should have explained (but obviously didn't!) that you can continue with the psychologist while also getting a meds review from a psychiatrist. 

I have both a psychiatrist and a psychologist. I see the psychiatrist only 4 times a year, just to review the meds each time. I see my psychologist once a month for 10 sessions a year for talk therapy. If I need more sessions than that per year with the psychologist, I have to pay for it myself. 

Hope that helps. 

Hi @Patches59 

Haven't spoken to you before so nice to meet you.

I see a psychologist and a psychiatrist too.

My appointments with my psychologist are every 2 weeks. It is who I unload all my worries and problems onto. We speak about lots of different things.

I mainly see the psychiatrist for medication purposes. He is the one in charge of what meds I am taking. He also organises if I need a hospital stay or have to have ECT. I speak to him about things that are happening, but I don't see him as much as my psychologist.

You can have both of these supports at the same time. Just because your gp thinks you should see a psychiatrist doesn't mean that you have to stop seeing your psychologist.

I hope this helps a little.

Thanks @Snowie and @NatureLover, that information makes sense and gives lots of information.  When I saw local dr at most recent review he asked how I was going.  As I said to him, I still have panic attacks especially when near trucks or trying to go for drive of more than 30mins on my own and, at that stage, was still having nightmares.  All local gp said is need to double dosage of my medication and that I’m probably better off seeing a psychiatrist.

suppose sounds weird but I’ve accepted that panic attacks are just part of me.  I don’t cope well when they are really strong which is when I try to concentrate on slowing my breathing, not easy to do when in traffic.  I was 9yo when my dads only sibling died through tragic circumstances, not long after I started having panic attacks. By time I was 13yo 3 other people very close to me had died and I had become child of DV. The start of what has become seesaw of mental health issues ever since. Decades ago medical profession didn’t realise impact trauma has on a child’s brain, thank goodness now they do

Glad that information made sense to you @Patches59 

I'm sorry to hear about the panic attacks and your past trauma. Events that happened in the past do affect us a lot now. I am glad to hear that you have some strategies in place to deal with your panic attacks, even if they don't work all the time.

I find holding ice and putting it on my face helpful when I am having a panic attack. Of course you can't do that when you are driving! Hopefully between you and your psychologist, you can come up with more strategies to use. 

I hope you have a good day.

Thanks @Snowie 

hope you have a great day

Hi   @Patches59 

Many, many years ago my doc referred me to a Physiologist for CBT unfortunately that did not work for me.  Then over the years both Phycologist and Psychiatrist.  My Psychiatrist was good at trying me on so many medications but my body seemed resistant to so many and I am still not cured of my issues, years before did see a Psychologist and not much help just to get myself out and walking.  Now my Psychiatrist has retired and yes quite a bit of money spent, next step is a Psychologist again soon, so I am very interested as to how my challenges will be with them.  So yes quite confusing for myself as well.  All the best.

@Snowie @NatureLover @Jynx   with brain that’s feeling foggy due to not much sleep I’ve been trying to recall my most recent local dr appointment.  Clearly remember him asking about my symptoms and telling him what I’m still struggling with plus improvements I felt I had made. Clearly remember him saying about doubling my dosage of antidepressants. Clearly remember him saying he thinks I might be better seeing psychiatrist and that he wants me to discuss this with my psychologist at next session.  Was feeling fairly good up to then. Remember my head feeling fuzzy and his words not sounding clear after that.  May be fear of unknown and not being given full information first, I don’t know.  Think he might have said cptsd but my mind wasn’t taking things in by that point.  Remember fighting back tears driving home, getting home, going to bed and crying myself to sleep.

Doesn’t feel like these meds are doing anything.  Some days feel good, get things done and spend time on one of my hobbies.  Other days struggle to find the will power to want to get out of bed, partly because I’m so tired.  I can go to bed by 10pm, wake few times during the night for no obvious reason and struggle to wake prior to 9am.  Some days feel like crying and end in tears during the day.  When last saw local gp was having nightmares flashbacks due to having been triggered couple days prior.

could these possibly be some of the reasons why my local dr has mentioned possible referral to psychiatrist?

Hi @Patches59 

I think see a psychiatrist would be a good idea, especially for your medication. They have more training in the mental health field and know more about the medications then a local doctor would. They might be able to subscribe certain meds for your symptoms.  Well that is my experience anyway. My psychiatrist handles all of my medications.

It is normal to have those up and down days. There are days where I struggle to get out of bed too, and then other days it feels like I have so much energy. 

I'm sorry to hear about the flashbacks and nightmares. They can be really distressing and hard to cope with. Have you got any coping strategies to try and cope with them?

I hope the rest of you day goes well.

Thanks @Snowie   Just knowing am not alone is this makes a difference.

indont have any coping mechanisms for dealing with nightmares.  Just try to go back to sleep.

flashbacks during the day I try to distract my mind with things I’ve been told can help with anxiety eg 5,4,3,2,1 of different things and do it more than once if needed

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance