Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Sass-blue
Casual Contributor

When I get sad I want to band aid it with substances.

When a life event happens, ie a close friend dying, I find it almost impossible to stay sober. I find experiencing something so traumatic overwhelming and never know if my emotional response is more dramatic than others. Emotional pain really hurts, I've had enough emotional pain to last a lifetime.
4 REPLIES 4

Re: When I get sad I want to band aid it with substances.

I used to get that way too.
I think you'll find a lot of people do that when faced with such loss.
I sometimes feel I've had enough emotional pain to last me for the rest of my years - but it's gotten better, I've let go of some of it, and there's more room now. I can feel good things, and cope better when the bad things happen.
Having a bad night?

Hi there @Sass-blue,

I don't think you are alone in feeling that intense emotional pain and wanting to cope with it by taking it away, many people struggle with this. So thank you for sharing and starting this topic, that is very couragous of you.

I hope that talking about it helps you to also cope in some way, how are you feeling today?

Lunar

I eat , emotional eat I think it's to comfort myself,numb myself,and/or punish myself. Emotional pain I suffer the most when I am distressed with anxiety.Its a hard one to overcome,as it's learned behaviour and if we feel like we aren't in control it's extremely difficult.Try and put strategies for yourself up something you know can help you through these times such as reading a book.Its not easy and there will be times you know you failed.Just try and hang in there like us all are doing Sass-blue.

@Sass-blue. I understand what you mean. I've gone back to drinking again. And then I hate myself for doing it.
It becomes a habit. Our brain expects it. Something stressful happens. We feel intense pain / stress. Our brain says "have a drink. you will feel better. it will take away the pain". And we want the pain to stop. So we take that drink and another.
This is where a counselor with experience in drug and alcohol use, can help. Teaching us new strategies on how to avoid the drink when stress becomes high.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance