Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Our Special Anzac Day Memories

Thanks @Owlunar  That’s a touching/beautiful story. I don’t have memories to share, but enjoy reading what others have to say. Thanks for the invite @Owlunar  much appreciated. 🌺🌺

Thanks @Appleblossom 

For whatever reason I can't hear anything from  your link - however I looked up the lyrics of  And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda

And they are tough words and true. I decided not to post them here

I went to the War Memorial in Canberra in 2016 - I think listening to my grandfather all those years ago had prepared me for the diorama done so exquisitely for the public and history - but I did notice the dazed faces of some of those seeing such imagery perhaps for the first time, It is a confronting truth - our modern world has been paid for - truly - and no words I can think of really say it - perhaps the words of that song do

Dec

Thanks @Maggie 

You do have a story - it's a very quiet and private one you just told - it's yours

Actually - having such a military history in my own family made it an interesting posibility that I could join the army myself - my father did not allow my brother and I to join the regular army but we both joined the CMF - the Citizens Military Forces - which is what the Reserve was called back then - it was an incredibly interesting part of my life and I learned so much in the time I served. I wish I could have joined the regular army but then - my life has been interesting without that

Thanks again

Dec

Yes @Faith-and-Hope 

Poppy pins and Anzac badges of bayonets arranged to look like the rising sun

I haven't bought any this year - I have others in the form of wrist bands latched on a ring on my bag - and they go everywhere with me - to important not to be an important part of my life every day.

Dec

Hopefully wasn't on the Melbourne @Former-Member well they all had asbestos as well then who knows

Was your father Australian? @Appleblossom Thought you said you were Duits ok Dutch

My father was in German Panzers @Owlunar Russian Front
It did for him was not a nice person plus nightmares every night of life since then ie PTSD .Enemy gets that too apparently plus no help

@TABMother Dutch and Father Australian.

He died young and had no family so most family input was dominated by dutch, which was weird considering this was the country I was raised in.  Took a while for me to join all the dots.

Oh k @Appleblossom wlda thort other way round.
So we have don't belong thing in common maybe? Nah u said uncles etc
My father is german. Mothers family from Birmingham 1836 To Aust lol

ANZAC-Day-2020-slider-x1.jpg

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance