Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Olives_Oyl
Casual Contributor

Introduction and hello

Hi all, 
I'm new to the forum and wanted to say hello. I have long suspected I had BPD but officially was diagnosed last year after hospitalisation. I've had mental health difficulties for a long time, but went through a range of diagnoses, that's a fun journey....

I love art, and make it when I'm able. I'm hugely into advocacy and activism. 

I have a kid and I find a lot of difficulty parenting with BPD - mostly in terms of harsh self-judgement, and a edsire to be perfect, as well as struggling with the huge amount of stigma experienced as a parent with BPD.

I love developing self-care routines and then quickly becoming lazy with implementing them. 

I really struggle with interpersonal relations, and often have no idea how to talk to people, but I have some close friends who mean the world to me.

I'm looking forward to being part of these forums.

Cheers

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Introduction and hello

Welcome to the forums @Olives_Oyl 👋🏼

I'm Margot, nice to meet you.

Sounds like its been a long journey for you so far, and while there are still some challenges ahead, you're starting to make sense of your experience in order to find a way forward.

Great to hear you're passionate about activism and advocacy! What are your go to self care routines? 

Oh, and if you're interested, you can also introduce yourself here.

Look forward to seeing you around the forums 😊

Hi Margot
My go-to self care includes drinking fizzy mineral water - simple but I find that I'm usually at least a little dehydrated and the fizziness gives me the kind of sensory input I need to trip my brain circuits.

I find mentally playing scattegories really helpful when I am having really bad thoughts - or doing things like trying to list al the countries in the world alphabetically.

Art-making and writing are two of my favourite self-care things as well.

Thanks for the welcome!

Hello @Olives_Oyl and welcome 🙂
I just read your intro on the introduce yourself here thread too 🙂

We have a few things in common reading both of your posts. I hace BPD, love art and all those colourful pens too.
We have quite a few art and bpd threads on here so feel free to take a look around or use the search function if your after something specific.
Again welcome aboard and looking forward to seeing you around.

Fizzy water....that's one I haven't heard before. I like it!  😉  

Art can be a great outlet and such a useful distraction at times when we need it. The sensory elements of using different mediums can be soothing too. It's actually a popular go to for a few of our members. I'm sure you'll find some like minded folk over here and here  👩‍🎨

Hi @Olives_Oyl, welcome to the forum. Smiley Happy

I just thought I'd add a link to a discussion thread you might find interesting:

Writing as a form of therapy

Hope you find the forum as helpful as I have over recent years. Smiley Happy

hello @Olives_Oyl and welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

Hi @Olives_Oyl ☺ Wanting to say welcome also. I love craft/creating anything, have kids, struggle with being pretty hard on myself at times, and have also been on the journey through a number of diagnoses (as you said, not so fun!). Like you, I have found stigma challenging when it comes to parenting with mental health issues too. It can hard enough without it being made extra hard through misguided views, stereotypes and judgment!

Hope you've found your way around the forum OK. Looking forward to getting to know you some more ☺

Thank you all for the amazing welcome! I’m so glad to have found this!

Ahh the problems of perfectionism in parenting.

But glad you have some good friends Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance