Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

BlueButterfly50
Senior Contributor

I found getting a borderline personality disorder diagnosis very helpful

I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder in 2005.  I was very angry with the psychiatrist although I had already diagnosed myself based on what I had read.  While I still have lingering issues with the way I was told, I have used the DSM V nine criteria, all of which I fulfil, as a descriptive diagnosis and checklist for healing.  I looked at all the symptoms and worked on them with my therapist and practiced skills (not DBT) at home during my work/family/friends life.  It took me a very long time to change the way I viewed the outside world and I now get it right most of the time.  I used to smash things, video players, vacuum cleaners and plates and cups and found it impossible to hold down a job.  I also found it difficult to keep long term relationships and lost many friends.  I now use mindfulness skills to keep my emotions in control.

My thought processes are a lot more flexible now and I have put personal boundaries in place.  I work as a peer support worker in the mental health industry and a greater majority of my clients have a diagnosis of BPD which they are finding it difficult to accept and neither should they accept what does not sit well with them.  Not everyone wants to accept this stigmatising diagnosis and it may not be the right one for them.  The DSM is by no means perfect and is only a description of external behaviour, it does not take into account the beautiful person you are when not unwell.  You are not your diagnosis, but you can use it as a blueprint for gaining mental wellness, if you feel this is a useful tool.

I am starting up a BPD consumer support group in Western Australia in January, 2015.  The premise of this is social inclusion, psychoeducation of the symptoms, how to deal with them, coping strategies, support, sharing and caring of stories and friendship.  I was in over-eaters anonymous years ago and found the friendship and support there invaluable.

My questions are:  Has getting a diagnosis helped you?  How was it delivered to you? (I found out mine in a letter to my GP, the psychiatrist did not discuss this with me).  Would you attend a support group for people with BPD if one was near you?

I would really appreciate your feedback on this as I want to be able to help give the right support in the right way that suits others.

102 REPLIES 102

Re: I found getting a borderline personality disorder diagnosis very helpful

There are BPD support groups in Melbourne offered by Spectrum I think.

Hi,

I was diagnosed five years ago but I didn't get told until August 2016. So all the workers over the years all knew about it but nobody told me. When I got finally told by the psychologist at the time. It explain so much of who I am that I never understood why I was this way.

There is no support groups where I am. But yes I would.

Hi again, @Flameslinger,

This is quite an old discussion thread and I'm not sure if @BlueButterfly50 and @Alessandra1992 are still active on the forum. So I'm just tagging a few people on the forum who have BPD (if I remember correctly), to see if they are interested in talking with you about it with you.

So first I'll give a shout to @Phoenix_Rising and @Crazy_Bug_Lady. And, although I'm not sure of their diagnoses, I'll also tag @BlueBay and @Former-Member, just in case they too have something to add. Hopefully we can get a current discussion on this topic going for you. 

The other option if you don't get a lot of response here is to start your own discussion thread. They sometimes gather a bit more attention, at the start at least. Aside from that, feel free to jump in to any active discussion thread you see on the forum. Some are simply chat threads, some deal with specific issues.

Wishing you well.

hi @Flameslinger

thanks for the tag @Mazarita

while im not BPD i can relate to the feeling of needing support etc.

i was only diagnosed with ptsd, social phobia, health anxiety, gad and depression late last year. i realised ive had these symptoms for a while but never knew what it was or what to do about it.

im glad that i did get these diagnoses as much as they are a pain, its make me realised that these are real things and its not just made up in my mind.

having the diagnoses i can get the right treatments for the different mental health issues, rather than ignoring them and trying to prentend they arent there like i have been.

as i do have the social phobia i wouldnt joint a suport group but the forums are great!!!!!

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I do have anxiety, depression and PTSD on top of BPD

This the first forum I have ever joined. I would be very scared to join a support group but I know how much I would befit from it.

no worries @Flameslinger

always happy to help. would you like to talk about anything in particular to help you manage?

*also you can tag people by typing @then the name or if your on the computer type @ then names will come up and you can click on it to tag them 🙂

@Former-Member

I am not sure where to start.

@Flameslinger

How about just abit about yourself? What do you struggle with the most?

@Former-Member

My nightmares, motivation, controlling my emotions.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance