Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

BeeGee
Senior Contributor

Hi, new here with dysthymia

Hi, I'm BeeGee and I thought I'd introduce myself and say hello.

I'm a 49 year old guy, and I've returned to study for a life change after a career in IT. I "discovered" in 2014 that I suffer from dysthymia. I say "discovered", because looking back I think I've actually been depressed since around age 14-15 - I remember feeling like I wanted not to be alive any more at that age, just felt so down and worthless all the time. Over the years I've learnt to live with my feelings, but most of the time life consists of going through the motions. Happiness and joy are things other people have; I just get to persevere. I struggle to find pleasure in anything very much, and most of the time have to pretend to be enjoying things so as to not be a wet blanket to my family and others. I've become very good at wearing masks to fit in with those around me, since showing the real me would be just a complete downer and turn-off, so most people would have no idea I suffer from depression.

I've tried many different meds and supplements over the last couple of years or so without success. AD #1 made me too dissociated to be able to study; #2 had no effect at all, even after doubling the dose, and #3 worked well in the sense of stabilising my mood - but it was like being in a straitjacket. I couldn't feel anything at all, good bad or indifferent. It was like being a robot. #4 was like taking jellybeans, and #5 just made me irritable. I'm currently unmedicated (although trialling amino acids acetyl l-carnitine and n-acetyl l-tyrosine), and am starting to see a psychiatrist to investigate options my GP can't access.

I had a few sessions with a psychologist who helped me achieve some good insights into my past and my current condition, but found him to be quite short on things that help - plus he talked so much I could never get to say all the things I wanted to cover in a session! I've done the "Wellbeing" online course at Mindspot and found it somewhat helpful for addressing automatic negative thoughts. I am working through the book "The Happiness Trap" by Russ Harris and finding that it has some really helpful ideas. But at the end of the day I don't feel like I have moved significantly from when I was diagnosed... textbook treatment-resistant depression.

I've been active on the BlueBoard forum for a while but alas, it is closing down so I'm looking for a new home of similarly broken people. I think it's worth having a place to chat with fellow sufferers so as not to overburden family and friends.

So - g'day! I look forward to chatting with you.

66 REPLIES 66

Re: Hi, new here with dysthymia

Hi @BeeGee

Welcome to the SANE forums!

Thank you for sharing some things about yourself, it sounds like although you dont feel like you have moved forward that you have done a lot of work towards it. Do you like The Happiness Trap? Its still one of my favorites because of its incorporation of values into the work

I was also wondering about your favorite things (besides the people) about the BlueBoard forum? and/or specifically what the people did that you appreciated? 

Cheers

Fancy_Pants 

Hi BeeGee,

good to see you here! I was on Blueboard too, and I really enjoyed reading your intelligent and interesting posts there.  I have kept the same username too, in the hope that I would be seen and recognised by other former BB members. 

I can relate to your experience of having a psychologist that talked too much... that happened to me once, too.  I was finding out all about her life (which was interesting; don't get me wrong) but I was not getting much of a chance to go into my problems with her. After 3 sessions, I quit therapy with her and then eventually saw another psychologist who I found to be a better match for me. 

All up, I think I have seen 6 different therapists! This was mainly because I kept moving towns and had to find a new one in each town. They were all quite good and I am glad that I have gotten 6 different perspectives on things. I actually didn't find it confusing, because each therapist had a similar outlook and each had a caring nature and I felt as though they understood me. 

Also, I think my problems are quite common ones... conflict in personal relationships, dealing with difficult people at work and ongoing anxiety over heaps of things.  I would not say that I am depressed, although I suffered a debilitating depression over 10 years ago that took some time to get over.

Anyway, I just wanted to say 'Hi'. 

@Fancy_Pants wrote:
I was also wondering about your favorite things (besides the people) about the BlueBoard forum? and/or specifically what the people did that you appreciated? 

Hi FP,

Thanks for the welcome!  Yeah I feel like I've worked pretty hard to get nowhere... had a bit of a rant on BlueBoard recently about unmet hope being worse than no hope at all... but I won't open that box again just now.  Still trying to find a middle ground of allowing the possibility of improvement without staking expectations on it, or being disappointed when it doesn't happen.

I think the thing I liked most about BB, apart from the people (who were totally awesome) was the minimalistic approach to moderation.  It was really just aimed at the lowest level necessary to keep people safe - primarily maintaining privacy and avoiding saying things that may trigger vulnerable people.  Already I've tripped over the censorship here - I actually posted the names of meds I've tried and had it rejected by the autocensor.  Gotta say, that irks me a lot.  ADs are the mainstay of treatment for many people on a forum like this, and not allowing people to talk freely about their experiences seems to me to be a pointless curtailment of the ability to have a meaningful discussion.  After all, it's not like anyone can wander down to the pharmacy and buy an AD over the counter just because they heard about it here!  It would require a prescription and thus a conversation with their doctor first.

Just my 2c worth.  For what it's worth, unwarranted heavy-handed censorship was what prompted me to leave the Beyond Blue forum a couple of years ago and head over to BlueBoard.  So, in short - great people and a minimal set of rules were the big drawcards for BlueBoard.  I've had some of the most worthwhile conversations about my condition there that I've ever had anywhere - including psychology sessions that I paid for.  I also would like to think I made a contribution to others too.  I hope I can find something similar here.

The Happiness Trap is a book I've been reading for over a year.  I pick it up, read a couple of chapters, work on incorporating those ideas into my life and then forget about the book for a while.  When I have a bit of free time (a rarity I'm afraid) I'll pick it up again and get through a bit more of it.  I find most of the ideas I've worked through so far really useful, but they only go so far... mostly they are good for the cognitive aspects - e.g. dealing with automatic negative thinking, but don't do much to alleviate my perpetual and pervasive low mood, lack of interest, lack of motivation, loss of pleasure in everything, etc.  I think these stem largely from a biochemical source - which may originally have had a psychocognitive trigger but have now become entrenched in my brain's structure.  I'm still on the hunt for the "magic elixir" that will bring some relief from that.

@Sahara!!! Hi!!! How wonderful to see a familiar and friendly face here. I was feeling a bit lost and lonely in this strange new world so it's comforting to find someone I know here. Delightful!

How are you finding this forum so far?

@Fancy_Pants wrote:
...and/or specifically what the people did that you appreciated? 

Sorry, just realised I didn't answer that part of your question - and it's a good one.  I think the things I most appreciated about the conversations on BB were that people weren't afraid to call each other out or challenge each other when it was needed.  I have noticed that often on some forums I have browsed, in the desire to be supportive and caring, responses can be very soothing and affirming - and utterly useless.  Well intentioned, sure, but totally not helping the person to see something they may be missing, or facilitating their continued avoidance of solving some problem.  At the same time, there was an enormous level of care and compassion.  I witnessed several instances of people helping each other out of crisis situations to stand up and keep going again.  I have shared tears with BB members in times of trial.  In fact, there is a crisis situation happening with a member right now and I can't imagine how she is feeling about having the rug pulled from under her with BB shutting down in a few short weeks.  Finding a new "home" is challenging enough for me and I'm relatively healthy at the moment; for someone in crisis it's probably more than they can manage, and is probably quite traumatising.

So - I will miss BB deeply.  I know I will make new connections - not the same perhaps, different, and valuable in new ways.  But it's kind of like saying goodbye to a friend who is moving to Norway or Colombia - I know I'll never see them again, even though they still exist somewhere.  It's sad.  And I'm saying all this to people who are, for now at least, a bunch of strangers, and that makes me sadder - you don't really know me and can only care in an abstract sort of way just yet.

Yes, BeeGee,

You are so right about Blueboard - it was a place where we could challenge each other is a very caring and serious way... letting each other know that we really read each post in depth and gave the comments our full consideration.  If there was something in a post that sounded 'not right' then we would always say so, but in a gentle way. 

I don't believe it does any good just say to someone "You will be Ok. I feel for you and I understand you." It's nice but ultimately it doesn't mean a lot.

That's funny about not being able to mention medication names here. I will have to re-read the rules about that.  I'm not actually taking any medications so it might not be relevant to me personally, but I know a lot of people are very interested in pharmacology with relation to mental illness. So they might feel a bit left-out.

Hi All,

I too have been a member of Blueboard for quite a few years.  Hi @Sahara and @BeeGee! Having read a post on BB this  morning I've spent a bit of time exploring this site.

I have Bipolar and found the strong sense of community on BB very comforting although I must admit I haven't posted much recently following a major physical health problem.   Nevertheless I found reading incognito to be very helpful.

I'm an older woman who has reached retirement age but feel I'm far too young to retire.  In addition I've found working beneficial in maintaining a daily structure.  With regards to work I have always remained completely open and honest about my bipolar.  As a result I have encountered some stigma and discrimination  ut not nearly as much as you would expect.

As I become more used to this site I'm sure I will post more frequently.  ☺

A warm hello to all, 

I too have moved over from Blueboard (nice to see other members on here - waving 🙂 ) - but I must say quite hesitantly because of the way the process of the closure occurred on BB (no pre-warning to participants/members, no consultation, no given opportunity to have an input into the lead up of the decision of closure due to funding cuts; left a lot of people whom were most vulnerable feeling adrift, shocked and quite distressed - let's hope with some not tragically so) - this experience of late has left me wary of online forums now and how members are truly valued. 

But up until that point I found BB to be a mostly safe place where people where free to express themselves (which I am doing here 🙂 ), and found wholesome, caring effective support. It was a very successful online forum that saved countless lives through the intervention of members and it was closed because of funding cuts (without funding we know that other factors that came into the decision were futile - no funding, no forum). At a time when we all know the nation is in a national emergency with our desperate acts statistics. This warrants more funding - not less. Lobbying for such should of been an option.

The highest level of activity on BB was of recent times (22nd March, 2016) with 2,013 at 4:45am of active online users - the highest peak achieved on BB ever - so online use of the forum was actually picking up not declining - a good indication of its ongoing recent success and the ongoing need of BB and other such similar forums. They are a vital support to prevent tragedy, suffering, loss and grief in society and families and are in urgent need.

My feelings about my experience there (being a member for approx 4 yrs) resonates with BeeGee. What made it a special and successful forum was the degree of life experience that we could utilise to help those struggling similarly with offering life saving strategies and coping abilities that worked for us, but with the difference of truly caring for and having compassion for every individual without judgement. All were treated as unique individuals with value and worth by most members genuinely. The latter being of the upmost importance to successfully supporting others. 

Gaining knowledge through our own lived life experience of mental illness many were able to discern if other members struggling similarly were not acting and thinking in the best interests of their recovery; we would then point this out with genuine concern/compassion void of judgement or self interest. This was the essence of the success of BB. 

Adequate moderation protecting vulnerable people from angry attacks, volatile arguements (respectful debate encouraged though "without prejudice"), protecting them from attacks on their beliefs or non-beliefs as others were free to express this (which is so important to the overall growth and mental wellbeing/healing of individual's as we are all unique), protection from offensive posting, insults, aggression and the like all incorporated BB to be the safe forum is was; attracting others to freely post how they were feeling, what they were experiencing without intimidation.

All have the right to expression - none have the right to abuse, as the latter being a primary cause/trigger of mental illness. Moderation is highly important for this reason towards the success of a forum I have experienced on BB (if done swiftly). But heavy handed editing oppressing the member to speak freely as BeeGee mentioned will turn people away from online support forums. So everything in moderation (no pun intended 🙂 ) There was no restrictions on how much or little they can post - let them vent.

On the subject of heavy handed editing - not being able to express feelings of harmful or desperate acts is oppressive for those struggling with such. In my life experience most people who are successful at desperate acts don't talk about it. They are discouraged to because of fear of intervention and detrimental consequences. They need to be incouraged to talk about "S" to be able to reach out.

"But" any who talk or discuss about the right to assist or commit a desperate act or verbally support it is "inciting" or "encouraging it", and this is highly triggering as I have personally experienced and am lucky to be here today - moderation here in this regard for safety is a must. I would flee from a forum for my own safety if such were allowed, which is in direct contradiction to the aim of an online forum which is to "save lives". That is what I have experienced and is my personal opinion. This wasn't allowed on BB contributing to its success.

My own personal life experience with mental illness, trauma and abuse has been on a horrific scale. I have been to hell and back and hit rock bottom. I have climbed out of that black whole, even though still experiencing the odd crisis because of recent DV in the home (from adult daughter), but the situation is starting to improve much with the odd set back that I am dealing with as I am not allowing her to cross the line anymore. I am growing in strength and determination.

I have gained much insight, resilience, hope, strength, knowledge, heart and compassion over the years through my struggle with depression, grief, trauma and anxiety - which is the positive that has come out of the bad. There is always the good which I look for in every situation and that gets me through. I am also very honest and open in my relations with others. And I hope I can not only seek support here but be of support to others. Will see how it goes.

I must say I do like the open dialogue with moderators here which was lacking on BB causing some to leave disgruntled and feeling undervalued - not a big issue really until the last few weeks when closure of BB was made known through a closed public BB notice giving members no avenue of reply. People had so many questions and did not receive adequate answers to their personal questions/concerns as open dialogue with mods was refused by them in an open public forum. This did not aid in the transition of change that was forced upon them which was ultimately their duty of care to undertake.

Some people became distressed depending on how much they were currently struggling - being a mental health forum that would of been countless behind the screens who may have been unable to verbalise it; but some brave others did express their distress/questions/concerns through posting on BB threads ( still visible) with the added written expression of their fear of having their posts deleted/edited through unintentionally offending them with criticism - which they had every right to express. That's being treated with contempt.

Moderators then went onto state that members with any questions/concerns directed at them due to the closure can only be asked and addressed privately through a report a post function, ending with "the decision is final". Attempting to stop any further discussion. Very condescending cold treatment of our most vulnerable. 

When members did try and contact moderators through a "report a post" they would receive "a cut and post" indifferent reply that did not directly answer their questions or concerns. If they politely verbalised disappointment and frustration with this type of interaction they were warned they would be put on DT. A really demeaning situation for members already distressed and traumatised by having their life saving support forum pulled from under them adding to their mental decline.

They were left in the lurch and I still worry for them as they are the most vulnerable in need of such services. Very off putting and a guide of "what not to do" towards creating a successful online forum where members feel valued.

So it's good to see there is healthy open interaction with moderators here making me feel welcomed. And yes!! - you have an editing function, wonderful!! Thank you and I look forward to getting to know you all.

Hi OTE
It's good to see you here. I heartily agree with your comment in relation to the mods interactions on this site.
Take care
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance