Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: A Life of Trauma and Tragedy (Possibly Triggering Content)

Thank you @Zoe7 💓🙏

I didnt expect to see you here, but your post brought a torrent of stupid tears. 😔

I wrote a post here to you on 17th Sept, which I dont know if you even read. I left myself very vulnerable by saying how I felt, but never had any acknowledgement. 

I read that Cat goes for her regular checkup and scans tomorrow. I hope it all goes well and results continue to be good.

Emelia 🌸

Honestly - it is not something I can reply to @Emelia8 You are going through enough right now.

Hi @Emelia8 

Sorry I didn't reply y'day. I was on and mostly offline y'day afternoon/evening, watching over my puppy who had the 'snip' operation.

I can't imagine what you are going through at the moment, with so much on your plate, prior to these breast screen results.  I'm sorry they haven't come back good and now it's something else you've been dealt with.  Yes, life can be really unfair!!

I know you don't have helpful support around you (sorry you feel you can't speak to your husband about this), what about your brother maybe? You've been through and helped him with a lot. He might feel disappointed if he felt you couldn't speak to him. If that's definately not an option, do you have a regular psychologist?

Apologies if these are inappropriate suggestions, I'm just trying to help.

I just hate knowing you are struggling on your own, cause I know what that feels like.

Love L xx❤️

I saw both my psychologist and my GP last week.  Necessary appointments resulting from my failures of the week before which required a hospital visit.  Both stressed the importance of maintaining human connections. Something I havent done lately due to several reasons, including my own destructive habit of retreating into self isolation.

My GP used the example of the recent mass pilot whale beaching in Tassie to demonstrate his point.  The importance of being part of a group or family is vital. And instinct will force mammals to maintain those vital connections, even to the detriment of themselves. Connections are what enable us to survive and gives us a chance to thrive. 

My psychologist told me I cannot continue to retreat into myself and become isolated every time bad things happen to me.

So here I am back again, and hoping so very hard that I am permitted to stay.  I am in even greater need than ever before, of support from my much loved forum family right now. I need someone I can talk to and connect with. I need someone who will just sit with me when I need to know I'm not as alone as I feel. I need reassurance that everything will be okay, even though I know nobody can realistically do that. I am feeling very alone, very afraid and feeling very sorry for myself.

I want to thank all of you who have consistently posted to me here during my latest 2 week absence.  Its been a dreadfully difficult and upsetting couple of weeks, and I have really appreciated that you did not forget me and that you tried to maintain contact ... at I time I could not do so.  So thank you to all of you for your messages and your thoughts. Also to those of you who have tagged me on other threads ... thank you so much ... it helped to make me feel part of the greater forum family, that I was missed and maybe even wanted here after all.  I very much appreciate each of you and you are all a very vital part of my life ... actually .... you are all I have. 

@Owlunar @Appleblossom @NatureLover @Anastasia @WIP @eth @Former-Member @Peri @Lee82 @BlueBay @greenpea @Meowmy @Former-Member @Former-Member @Snowie @Eve7 @outlander @Shaz51 @oceangirl @Angels333 @Molliex  @Faith-and-Hope @Sans911 @Zoe7 @Former-Member @Maggie @Schitzo 

Just as well give you an update on my tests I had on Tuesday.  As most of you know ... I got a call back from a routine 2-yearly BreastScreen xray.  Something suspicious showed up on my scans.  So I had to go to my closest (regional) city to a BreastScreen clinic for further assessment.  This happened on Tuesday morning.  It was an early start to the day, so I stayed the night in the city.  As is usual ... being in the city presented many distressing triggers for me.  But I got through it and made my appointment on the Tuesday.  Got there early, just after 10am.  I didnt get away until just before 3pm.  So it was a long and upsetting day.

I had hoped that they'd perform the diagnostic follow up Xrays and say ... nope all good, nothing to worry about.  But no ... the Xrays showed the same suspicious lump and I needed to have ultrasounds done to investigate further.  All this was aiming to rule out anything sinister, to find a non-threatening cause of the changes in the xrays.  Unfortunately the ultrasound only caused me alarm bells.  The lump was irregular and dense and showed all the hallmarks of cancer. 

A doctor came in and did more tests and felt lymph nodes etc and checked the scans and ultrasounds.  Said the lump showed every indication of being cancer and also that my lymph nodes under the arm were also swollen. The lump is quite high up towards the arm, which is a bit of a concern given the closeness of the nodes. Which means it closer for the cancer to spread.  I needed a fine needle biopsy of the nodes and a core biopsy of the lump itself.  So heaps of needles, including a local anaesthetic.  All patched up afterwards with waterproof dressing to remain on for 3 days.  Sent to a nurse counsellor who gave me all the paperwork and information on breast cancer.  Spoke to me about next steps ... ie definitely surgery then other (maybe radiation or chemo or targetted therapy) depending on spread if any. Told me to make an appointment for next week with my GP to obtain referral for a surgeon.  Gave me information about the surgery options.

All the biopsys have been sent to pathology for analysis now, but wont be back until next Thursday when a Dr will phone me with results.  But I've been told that I almost certainly have cancer, and the biopsys will confirm that and will provide information which will be used to determine best treatment.

Although they have not told me that I definitely have cancer, they have said its almost certain given what they can see, feel and know.  They are all experts at this place and know what they are looking for.  They see it every day.  So if I am told next week that its all clear ... that will be a big shock.  A welcome one of course, but a shock nonetheless.

I have to say that this diagnosis did not come as a shock.  As soon as I got the call back, I knew the news would be bad.  Its still very fresh in my mind that my Mum died only a little over a year ago from breast cancer (and other complications from it).  And I had a grandmother die of breast cancer about 40 odd years ago. And in my personal experience in life ... worst case scenario's for me are the norm.

Its believed that stress is one of the hidden causes of cancer ... I have had my share of that throughout my life.  So I guess its inevitable that its all caught up with me now.

I am feeling very sore and sorry for myself right now ...after having heaps of needles and core biopsy thingys stuck into me on Tuesday, lots of bruising and bandaging ... its pretty uncomfortable.  Cannot even have a shower until tomorrow, when I can remove the dressings.

Hubby is feeling sorry for himself too now.  I know he cares about me, but I think he is more thinking about how this will affect him.  As soon as I told him what the doctors had said, he was ranting about 'my rotten luck'!  Like it was all my fault or something, and that I may not be able to take proper care of him any more.  That I might die and leave him to fend for himself.  With all the health issues hubby has had lately, who would have thought that it could be me that dies first?  It all seems so unfair.  I have to admit I had hoped I would have a few years to just be me, for me, before dying.  Now life is turned on its head, and I am thrown into a whirlwind.  And yet, I cannot do anything or plan anything until the pathology all comes back to confirm everything and tell them everything they need to know before any surgery or treatment can be done.  

I do apologise for the length of this post ... it just kind of grew.  I havent had anyone to talk to for 2 weeks or more. I am sorry.

Emelia 🌸😔💔

A515CC3F-4CD8-4017-A6CB-8D8AEDAAD4EA.jpeg

Not at all surprised that your husband responded that way @Emelia8 ...... please do your best to ignore him entirely and focus entirely on your own self-care ❣️

Here and listening, and hoping the results are not as dire as you fear sweetheart ..... keep your chin up as high as you can prop it, hug your precious fur-baby, and do something that brings you some joy.

Hugs 💐

@Emelia8 

💔💔💔

@Emelia8Sweetheart hugs and hugs. Am so happy to see you back with your forum family. We all love you. We will sit with you and hold your hand through your journey. I am online every day so make sure that you tag me. I love you beautiful. peaxxxx

@Emelia8 💙💙💙

Hi @Emelia8 

I am so glad you have posted - I have been concerned for you but also know that you do retreat into yourself when something bad happens - and I agree it's a good idea to have social contact - for everyone - especially when things go wrong and they do - that's life - you just seem to have had an extra tough life - I hear you

I am sorry about your diagnosis - that is tough - it may be it's not cancer but so far - it seems that it is - with your family history and what the doctors know. We are here for you Em - and we all care so much - I would not like to go through tough times without the forum now after all these years and I am so glad you have shared your thoughts with us - with anyone really - but particularly with us

Of course your husband would think of himself first and maybe it will be good for him to imagine he will be left alone to deal with life and his own issues and disorders - you have to put yourself first though and care for yourself - the next however long is time you need to be there for yourself and we wil be here too - we can only support you with words

Dear sweet Em - how I have missed you - and how difficult this has to be for you - I will certainly have you in mind - I have been really busy over the last few days and I only just come on-line before I read your post and really glad I did

I am sending you my best thoughts

Dec

We all have some kind of good power within - I am sending you mineWe all have some kind of good power within - I am sending you mine

@Emelia8 

Heart

Wondering if it was something like that.  Maybe it is one they can stop, if it was all clear in last scan??  Hearing you though about stress and cancer.  Marital stress is often unseen.

Take Care and dont lose all hope.

Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance