Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Ali585
Senior Contributor

13 reasons why

Just curious if anyone has watched this on Netflix?
I'm interested in seeing it but wondering how triggering it could be?
12 REPLIES 12

Re: 13 reasons why

Hi @Ali585

I have watched it, and it is quite confronting and graphic so may be triggering but it is one of the best series I have watched

Thanks

Unfortunately I have found it quite triggering. Going to do something else/watch something else to take my mind off things. 

I watched it.  I found it to be triggering but not in a bad way.  I think it reveals true struggles that people have, and it personally helped me see my issues in retrospect.  It has really got me thinking.

Former-Member
Not applicable

I. have watched it . I think it concerns me a bit that it's aimed at teenagers. I found it a bit graphic and too close to home in many ways but also knew it wasn't really going to be a good thing to watch. I do worry that it almost makes the suicide look reasonable or justified... That of course you can't cope with all that awful stuff... But not in a great frame of mind tob start with whichb may be skewing my thoughts. However if any one does find it especially triggering don't forget the crisis lines like life line or suicide call back line.
Lj

What is this show I wanna see it as it may help my thoughts of Sucide attack me

Hi everyone, I will not be watchingvthis movie because I already fighting strong hopelessness and suicidal thoughts. I did read about it for the first time today, on ABC news online:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-18/netflix-series-13-reasons-why-prompts-mental-health-concern...

I am going to watch it. Partly because I am interested in the story, but partly because I am curious as to how it will make me feel.  I'm kinda worried that I won't be triggered, as others' have mentioned they might be, but that I might feel nothing at all due to dissociation etc.  I'm not sure which outcome is worse..?

It made me very sad and down, but not distressed... It reminded me of the way I felt when I first read 'The Bell Jar'. I kind of sat there thinking... and? Is this supposed to be an odd experience? 

I feel like it would be more profound and distressing for people who don't have a sense of what MI is... as we can relate in a way? If you know what I mean?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance