Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Got a coping strategy that you find good? Share it here :)

I am breathing.
What works better for me though is concentrating on the exhale.making sure my lungs are fully empty before I breathe in,

Hi @Gumtree
What a great strategy - that's really at the core of mindfulness meditation.
There's some great strategies in this thread. If you want to learn more about mindfulness (though you seem to have it nailed) use the search function and a heap of discussions will come up.
If talking to other members about the specifics of what's going on would be helpful, I encourage you to start a new thread.
I hope the breathing works. I need to take tips from you!

Great job @Gumtree

Silly humour

While it is not always possible to just ‘laugh your problems away’, you can often use humour to help you to take a step back from your anger.
For example, if you are angry with a colleague and refer to them as a stupid clown, think about what this means literally. Imagine or draw them dressed in a clown suit, with big shoes and a red nose. If you picture this image every time they do something which bothers you, it will be much easier to keep things in perspective.

Self-talk and good thinking

How you are thinking affects how you are feeling, so focussing on negative thoughts such as ‘this is so unfair’ will maintain the angry feeling.
Make a list of more balanced statements you can say to yourself before, during and after difficult situations. For example:
Before: I know I can handle this; I have strategies to keep my anger under control and can take time out if I need to.
During: Remember to keep breathing and stay relaxed. There is no need to take this personally. I can manage this.
After: I handled that well. Even though I felt angry I didn’t raise my voice too much and I think I got a better result.

Progressive Muscle Relaxation (PMR)

. A person can practice this technique by either sitting or lying down in a comfortable spot. The key to the relaxation process is taking some deep breaths and then proceeding to tense, then relax a group of muscles in a systematic order. One can start with the head and move down to the neck, shoulders, etc or can start with the feet and legs and proceed accordingly. The goal of the process is to cause deeper relaxation to the body than by simply attempting to relax.

1. Sit in a comfortable position, with eyes closed. Take a few deep breaths, expanding your belly as you breathe air in and contracting it as you exhale.
2. Begin at the top of your body, and go down. Start with your head, tensing your facial muscles, squeezing your eyes shut, puckering your mought and clenching your jaw. Hold, then release and breathe.
3. Tense as you lift your shoulders to your ears, hold, then release and breathe.
4. Make a fist with your right hand, tighten the muscles in your lower and upper arm, hold, then release. Breathe in and out. Repeat with left hand.
5. Concentrate on your back, squeezing shoulder blades together. Hold, then release. Breathe in and out.
6. Suck in your stomach, hold, then release. Breath in and out.
7. Clench your buttocks, hold, then release. Breathe in and out.
8. Tighten your right haamstring, hold then release. Breathe in and out. Repeat with left hamstring.
9. Flex your right calf, hold, then release. Breathe in and out. Repeat with left calf.
10. Tighten toes on your right foot, hold, then release. Breathe in and out. Repeat with left foot.

9891922f4451b97618424964b89f61a4.jpg

b872cd5aa675176ec30c3396471932d6.jpg

Reduce-Stress-with-your-Senses.png

selfharm.jpg

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance