Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

linda5211
Casual Contributor

NDIS and No support if you aren't on it

The other week, I spent 2 or 3 days continuously on the phone trying to get help and support.  He has applied for NDIS but they are after more reports which I am trying to get and have resorted to Freedom of information to get them.

He is 63 and on disability pension.

I have a l so rang service groups. Lions club, rotary club, men's shed, church groups, his local council, mission Australia and a h OK St of others.  I also emailed numerous places.  

I couldn't get any u elp.  He can't drive at the moment because they have medically suspended h driving licence and we are working on getting that back.

I have also emailed a few politicians including Mr Bill shorten.  His office forwarded on my email to an appropriate dept. And someone from that office will be calling me and someone from ndis will by e calling also.  Don't think it will really get me anywhere but still worth a try.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: NDIS and No support if you aren't on it

Hi @linda5211 

Sounds like a tough situation for you, we are here, feel free to contact us by any means here Contact us (sane.org). You could look into Mable for support too. 

@linda5211 Sorry to hear how much effort you've put into trying to get support, to no avail! 

I do have one suggestion for short term support which is through the Carer Gateway, and is primarily for carers who do not receive NDIS funding. Their website is:  https://www.carergateway.gov.au/

Hopefully that helps a little! Let us know how you go. 🙂

Hi @linda5211,

I hope things are going better for you? 

Sometimes dealing with the main NDIS switchboard can be easier than the local NDIS people. you could try giving the National Contact Centre a call on 1800800110 and see if they can help. I have found they seem to have a little more training/ support to help them 🙂 

He might have to confirm to whoever that you can speak on his behalf, before anyone will talk to you. Carers Australia would be able to help you with information about services in your area, and they also have counselling for carers also.  It could also be because NIDS ages out at 65 and people are switched to aged care support. 

NDIS is also changing to a new system, that has a lot of people confused.

I hope this helps     

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance