Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Brother
New Contributor

Trying to get my brother help

Hello, my brother is 38 years old and seems to exhibit the classic signs of schizophrenia which has been causing huge stresses for myself and my parents over the last 10 years. We have a family friend who is a psychologist who meet with him a couple of times and said that it is highly likely that this is the case but my brother refused to see him anymore before he could make an official diagnosis. My brother has basically never worked in his life and he constantly relies on myself and my mother for financial support which is putting stress on my own family. I would like to get him on the disability pension as this may be a way of removing the financial burden however I am unsure how to do this when he wont even acknowledge that he has a problem.
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Trying to get my brother help

Welcome to the Forum @Brother  Smiley Happy

This is a forum contains a lot of mutual support. Please try and type in `family', `Schizophrenia' on the above serach bar and you would be able to find a lot of members who share their learnings and wisdoms here.

Be sure to look after yourself as well Smiley Happy

Take care,

Sky

Hi @Brother

I'm so sorry to read about the difficult time you & your family have been going through.

You mentioned he exhibits 'classic signs' of schizophrenia - can you tell us a bit more about that? It might help other members respond to your post.

It sounds like you're in a common situation to many carers, in which the person they are caring for don't think they are unwell and/or don't seek help. It's such a horrible situation to be in, there's a sense of helplessness and just being tired without seeing resolution to the situation.

@Kiera80 , @Jacob101 are just a few of the members who come to mind. They had to make some tough decisions about the person in their life and had to take certain steps to maintain their own wellbeing.

Welcome to the Forums - I hope that you find the community useful. At the very least, know that you're not alone in this experience.

Nik

Brother
How are things going?
I am new to forum but have a schizophrenic brother,
It was really hard to get a diagnosis for my brother at 17.
He was dillusional and strange.
On one of his bad days I drove him to an assessment centre.
Once he assessed things will improve.
Your living in no mans land at present.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance