Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: My life partner has Bipolar ii

Would love to hear some of the ways you stay grounded

Hi @Dunks

I guess the way I stay grounded is that I have always had a strong sense of what is important in life (people, community,  not things),  I believe no one is exempt from problems and that there are times in life when we need to give without expectation of receiving.  Love has at times been intentional.

I cannot say that it has always been easy - far from it - at times I was not coping as well as I thought  I was. About 8 months after Mr Darcy attempted, one of Mr Darcy's pdocs told me she felt I was getting carer stress, suggesting some professional help might be necessary. I took her advise and got some counseling and support for myself and it has taken time for me to reengage with activities I once enjoyed. Life is still very much a struggle for Mr Darcy and while I am acutely aware of his risk factors and what could go wrong, I look for the blessings and focus on what we have, not on what has been taken away.

Thinking of you @Former-Member 

Any news on the big move? 

Hi also and welcome @Dunks 

No news at all on the home front @Determined.  

Thank you Darcy and I hear you. Mr W is constantly elevated so my fears are around his big spending sprees, disappearing and losing heaps with gambling and grandiose business deals that could potentually land us in a lot of trouble.  

I am really trying to see all that I have to be grateful for but am surrounded by chaos at present but that will get easier.

There are so many wonderful things in life to treasure so my aim too is to find a way to enjoy them. 

Hi Determined ... love your name ... says it all

Mr Darcy is saying that he is feeling unwell a lot more and I  suggested we get in touch with his treating team and he agreed.  His case worker came out to visit yesterday.

Initially she indicated that pdoc feels he is in remission, that he needs to get back into his psychology sessions but a bit later on I think she could see that he was perhaps not quite as good as what he comes across as. 

(The psychologist that was in the public system left and he is on the waiting list to see a practice that provide services locally - he did not want to travel to the nearest major centre to see someone.)

Mr Darcy definitely on the way down - got all upset about spilling the coffee dregs from a cup this afternoon  -  did not want to walk the dog, went to bed instead - refused to get up for tea - said he wasn't hungry - then when I come to bed at 9.30 he gets up to eat. Not sure if he has eaten his meal cold (will check in the morning) but has made some toast, setting off the fire alarm in the process.

How are you managing @Former-Member ?  Any wind-Down activity you can invest in for a little while before sleeping ?  The fire alarm just have jangled your nerves a bit .... 😬

Will put some relaxing music on @Faith-and-Hope .

Heart is sinking in relation to what this means in relation to medication options for Mr Darcy.

Best get some sleep - need to be able to think clearly.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance