Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Former-Member
Not applicable

Rant - another day of looking for support

Morning all,

Not sure if this is the right sub-forum for it but it's been helpful so far to reach out so here it goes...ma mornin' rant : )

Still trying to find a "supplement" to my mental health nurse as I can't afford to see her weekly (used to be, but it was free)...so now it's every 3rd week, which isn't enough considering I've only talked about my issues (childhood trauma related, I've also got an ADHD diagnosis which we don't talk about but it adds a layer I guess) since maybe April.

We got turned down for more free apps because the people in charge considered my condition "too severe for a nurse" *sigh* (specifically becase of dissassociative issues, they told her).

Was through a different plan than mental health plan, asked gp for that a while ago to see a second person and nothing's happening...he hasn't even emailed my nurse yet (which he said he would). Awesome gp, but that route's going nowhere it seems.

Got an ArcVic Cares4Me "buddy", on here etc but why oh why is it so hard to find a regular support service or support group for childhood trauma?? I feel like I must be missing something because it's not like it's that rare either?

(I am aware we can't give recommendations, simply a rant ha)

I'm considering the Blue Knot helpline but helplines can feel a bit tricky - if I'm really unwell I go involuntarily mute and can't physically make a phone call, if I'm sorta ok but want someone to talk to a helpline just seems a bit odd, to me, maybe I'm being too negative but the lack of options is just getting me frustrated...I'm willing to pay somewhat for a service where it's just talking to the same person once a week but childhood trauma just doesn't seem to have a whole lot of that going on, from what I could find on the internet?

(It's not that I specifically want to talk about it all the time, but I do think it would be a bit confusing to have a counsellor who wasn't aware/trained on it)

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Rant - another day of looking for support

Hey @Former-Member 

Sorry you're having trouble finding support, I feel your frustration, it can be a difficult process.

It sounds like you were comfortable seeing the nurse for a while there, and I know you're not real happy about being deemed "too severe" to continue seeing them, but I think once you do find the right support you will be far better off. If you are specifically looking for support regarding childhood trauma, you need to find a trauma informed psychologist. Do a google search for psychologists in your area and find one who deals specifically with trauma and if possible CPTSD. Get their details and take that info to your GP and tell them that's who you want to see. If your GP--for whatever reason--isn't putting a mental health care plan togeher for you, go to a health centre like Headspace or any drop in health centre and talk to them about it. Sometimes GPs are just a pain in the ass about mental health.

I agree that using helpline/chat service is just awkward. I think they're useful for short term use or in moments of crisis, but far more beneficial to see one person on an ongoing basis so they can really get into your history and work through your trauma.

Another site I'm a big fan of is HAVOCA, it's a place specifically for adult survivors of child abuse.

All the best

@Former-Member  Welcome.

Childhood trauma is a tricky journey to try to navigate without support. I spent years trying to find a good fit, and was on the verge of giving up. But I found a social worker, or she found me. It’s a good fit, and worth the wait. I hope you find some help, you deserve that.

I’ll tag @Teej , she might have some information that might be helpful.

I hope you feel supported here on the forums. Take care.

@saltandpepper 

Some good updates - texted my mental health nurse to explain I'm doing all this work myself and trying to find resources but not having her to talk to is super frustrating and she's offered to see me pro bono for the rest of the year once a month - I'll go twice but pay for the other week : )

I'd probably be described as very "high-functioning appearing" so it was a bit personally annoying to be described as too severe but I think what annoyed me the most was she's been super helpful but they specifically turned it down because she explained I have a dissassociative condition and they felt you'd have to be a psychologist to deal w that, so like it's above "her station"...which is absolutely ridiculous and pretty rude too haha.

@Maggie 

Second the importance of finding a good fit - it's also just a bit of a pain because I do have a dissassociative condition and memory issues etc...it's kinda essential to have someone who gets that or already knows cos otherwise I'd present differently overtime or "forget" about certain things or not focus on them anyway...like one part or alter wants practical things and forward-momentum but another one needs or lives w completely different things and wants someone "child friendly" : )

I really understand @Former-Member. I have DID, and dissociation is a very big part of how I/we exist. Child friendly is essential, in my opinion. My counsellor often beings a mobile party for the littles.

And Yes, forgetting is a tough one, all part of the package. It’s a tough place to be, but sometimes it’s fun. When I can, I try to do fun things with some that want to. Bubbles in the back yard, kicking leaves.

I’m alway willing to listen, if you want to talk. I seem to have been there, and done that.

I do know how hard it is. Sending ❣️❣️❣️❣️I hope today has some light in it for you.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance