Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Lino
Contributor

New to SANE

Hi everyone, 

I was identified as aspergers 10 years ago and since diagnosed with this and type 2 Bipolar disorder. Despite raising concerns about potential mental and physical health fallout I was redeployed out of my dream job in an academic library into a clerical role. This has led to depression and suicidal ideation. Like many other people in a similar situation my general health is failing as I struggle for acceptance and a fair go.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: New to SANE

Hi @Lino  and welcome to the forums. There are lots of friendly people here willing to share their lived experience.

I am sorry you have been having such a hard time at work. Please stay safe.

Hi @Lino 

Just wanted to welcome you. 

Im sorry to hear you are going through a rough time. It shows what strength you have by sharing on here. I’m sure you will find acceptance and support within the forums. 

I have also just been diagnosed as type 2 bipolar. I’m still having trouble accepting that. 

Captain24 💕

Welcome @Lino. That's really tough to be moved from a comfortable place where you enjoyed the work so much. 

This may be totally inappropriate, but perhaps you could look at it as a challenge you're ready for. Don't try to fit in straight away–no matter how much you'd like to–and just take it slowly. Are you extending yourself in this position, learning different things?

I hope it all works out @Lino. I send you best wishes. 

Hi and welcome, @Lino .

That's really rough, to have achieved your dream job and then lose the position 😞

@Lino wrote:

This has led to depression and suicidal ideation. 

I'm wondering if you have any professional support for your severe depression and SI (suicidal ideation), like meds, a counsellor or psychologist? 

A handy forum tip is if you type @ and then click on a name in the drop-down box, that person will get a notification and won't miss your reply to them. 

I hope you find the forums supportive...

Bow
Senior Contributor

Hey @Lino  just stopping by to welcome you to the forums. It’s a pretty friendly place here and I find it really safe and nonjudgmental too. 

@Captain24 thank you, it will take time to accept yourself as you are. I'm ok with aspergers but bipolar is a roller-coaster ride for everyone around us. I'm working to accept this without wallowing. Every day is a new one with new possibilities 

Your right @Lino it is the roller coaster from hell!! 

What’s getting me through is taking each day as it comes. I am starting to accept it and today has been a great day! 

Hope your day is good too

Thank you @Historylover 

Totally appropriate comment, my redeployment was 6 years ago and yes I stepped up to the challenge. My supervisor is sadly lacking in understanding that I am capable with simple appropriate adjustments to the way I function, hence the downhill slide.

I have outstanding medical support and have found a great psychologist who I see regularly. It is vitally important to find the right fit when looking for a GP,  psychologist, Psychiatrist. It took a while for me but worth using up a lot of energy to find them.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance