Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

VernaMueller
New Contributor

Looking for connection

Hi,

I was diagnosed with Bipolar 1 last year. My meds are barely controlling anything and I'm feeling so alone.

I've never met or spoken to anyone else with it and am trying to find a support group on the Sunshine Coast/ gympie region but all I can find is nearly 2 hours away. I'm looking for trials to participate in and reading everything.

I'm at a loss of what to do though. I hate this thing.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Looking for connection

Welcome @VernaMueller ,

You are not alone in this. 

People are social beings and thrive on connection. There are others who have found themselves in similar circumstances and may life to share their experiences with you.

I hope you will find the connection and support you are looking for,

tyme

Hello @VernaMueller and welcome to the forums.

I hope you can find some support where you are but in the meantime have a look around the threads here and I’m sure you’ll make some connections.

Take care

💚💛💚

Hi @VernaMueller

Hope you're staying safe and surviving. 

I'm in a similar situation - with bipolar 1, never met anyone with it either and I have restarted meds for about a month but not really sure whether it's working. After a recent suicidal attempt, I have researched/read pretty much anything available about bipolar ranging from youtube, mental health organisation websites to academic research papers. I have spoken to my friend whose friend also has bipolar 1, apparently gone through psychotherapy, ECT and worked quite well. I'm not a health professional so it's probably best to consult with drs etc but if meds are not working that might be an option.

In terms of a support group, post-hospital, I have been getting help from a city council-run mental health organisation that has a peer support worker. Although, she has a different mental condition, I found it extremely valuable to have a conversation with her. Or depends on the day, (coz my condition goes up and down. You'll prob know haha) I'll check the thread here every now and then so we can chat : ) Hope this is helpful!

Hello @VernaMueller and welcome. I can sympathise, I have Bipolar 1 too. It can take a while to find medications that suit. Having the support of a psychologist can also help especially with identifying coping strategies. 

There's a thread here called Let's talk about bipolar that's been quiet for a while but could be worth browsing. 

I find the forums very supportive. Diet, exercise, mindfulness and using a mood/activity tracker have all helped my wellbeing and I appreciate the interaction with other forumites. The thread called  Walking for Wellness helps keep me motivated, so does Daily Achievements! . There also social threads and ones for mutual support. 

I hope you make friends here. If you want to reply to a particular person you can type @ and select their username from a pop-up list. 

Cheers

Dimity

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance