Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Have an account?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome and getting started

Miffysmum
New Contributor

Finding myself…my authentic self at 50 after recently being diagnosed (just under a year ago) ASD and ADHD

Very fortunate to have a supportive long term partner whom I consider my best friend. Have cycled through 5+ jobs in 2 years often leading due to burnout/overwhelm. This has created financial impacts within our household. My sense of self is low and within any new role I gain I question my abilities and judge my efforts harshly. When engaging in more traditional eastern teachings about how our bodies function and heal I feel more myself and genuine. I am having difficulty maintaining this within my day to day life however

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Finding myself…my authentic self at 50 after recently being diagnosed (just under a year ago) ASD and ADHD

Hi @Miffysmum, welcome to the forum.  It took me until my 50s as well to start to really try and figure out all those issues I had always had rattling around in my head.  A supportive partner is invaluable and I'm lucky there as well.  It's the only relationship I've ever been in and it's been 11 years so far, so I like to think I have a perfect 'undefeated' record rather than think about those first 42 years.

That self doubt is a hard one to get past.  It always takes me a while to feel like I haven't 'conned' my way into a job.

Re: Finding myself…my authentic self at 50 after recently being diagnosed (just under a year ago) ASD and ADHD

Hi 👋🏼 @Miffysmum how are you adjusting to your medication?

It takes a little while to get used to it.

Getting diagnosed and medication was the best thing that ever happened to me.

G

Hi @Miffysmum 

I also wanted to extend you a warm welcome from our community. I hope you'll find this a place where you can get the support you need to live a happy and healthy life. 

See you around the forums 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Have an account?

For urgent assistance