Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

FloatingFeather
Senior Contributor

National Science Week: 13–21 August 2022 Australia Wide

National Science Week is Australia’s annual celebration of science and technology. It features more than 1,000 events around Australia located at universities, schools, research centres, libraries, museums, and science centres.

National Science Week aims to encourage an interest in science pursuits among the general public, and to encourage younger people to be fascinated by the world we lived in. The events attract a wide audience from children to adults, science amateurs to professionals.

National Science Week is a great way to engage with your local community and learn something new. Learning can give us power in our lives. It helps us make connections with liked-minded people and the world around us. There is a lot of research that suggests learning keeps you brain young and fit, especially when you find the learning somewhat challenging and persevere to succeed.

There are so many events available throughout Australia - both online and locally. For example, in the Sydney region there are 91 local events. If you can’t get out or prefer online learning, there are 110 online events available such as:

• The Science of Coral Reef Recovery with Taronga Zoo
  • Using LEGO Education to Teach Science
  • Indigenous Practices Meet Sustainable Fishing
  • The Big Brain Experiment – 5 Mini Missions into the Mind

So, if anyone is looking for something to do this week there are plenty of free and interesting science opportunities to be had across Australia!

If you would like to know more about this exciting week, please click on this link https://www.scienceweek.net.au/.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: National Science Week: 13–21 August 2022 Australia Wide

In the spirit of the season, this TED talk is an interesting 20 minutes, if interested.

It's a study about vibes. Specifically bio-electric vibes. Apparently you can grow an extra head with bio-electric vibes (if you're a flatworm (and you also need a vibe machine (and a vibe scientist))).

The hard part is getting two-headed flatworms to collaborate with themselves.

https://www.ted.com/talks/michael_levin_the_electrical_blueprints_that_orchestrate_life

How interesting @FloatingFeather ! I’m actually taking a group of students for a LEGO education competition this Thursday. We will be competing against a number of schools and Salesforce work with us to program our robots to complete a series of missions.

I don’t intend our school to win, but I do intend for the kids to have fun! I’ve had fun building all the LEGO mission components!

Oh, and I teach science too. I’ve been working on Forces with year 7, electricity in year 6. Building Solar cars as well…

Science is endless. Btw, I HATED science as a kid…

The LEGO education competition sounds great @BPDSurvivor - what a fantastic initiative! During lockdown I bought my son a LEGO treehouse to keep him busy and entertained. Well he wasn't interested so I built the whole thing myself. It took me a while but I really enjoyed it - brought back a lot of happy memories of my brother and I building LEGO as kids.

How interesting to teach science - and to think you didn't even like it as a kid! Sounds like you really enjoy your job now :). Most of my time spent in science class was out the door as I was often sent out of class for talking and laughing! 

All the best with the LEGO competition on Thursday - win or lose it sounds like you will all have a great time!

Best wishes,

FloatingFeather  

We had our competition yesterday @FloatingFeather , the kids did so well!

We are waiting to unbox this year’s robot mission for our next competition in November.

I can’t wait!

Hi @BPDSurvivor,

Thanks so much for letting me know how the kids went. Sounds like you all had a fantastic time!

The robot mission sounds great too :). Please let me know how it goes too - I look forward to hearing about it.

Warm wishes, 

FloatingFeather 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance