Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

HammerTime
New Contributor

What could this mean?

For some reason I get these headaches in the afternoon or at times in the day and I can’t function. It’s like I have to think about everything I do. I’ve been to the doctor and she thinks it’s depression but I don’t feel sad. And why do I get headaches and I can’t do anything? Does anyone else have similar experiences? 

And there are other times when I can focus really well and be really productive - hardly even thinking about what I’m doing. So easy.

so far I’ll trust what the doctor says but I’m hoping someone / others can tell me about something similar and tell me what might be happening. It just doesn’t seem to make sense

4 REPLIES 4

Re: What could this mean?

Hey there @HammerTime welcome to the forums. I'm one of the moderators, thought I'd stop in to offer a bit of support 😁 

I can hear that you're confused about your experiences with these headaches. I can't offer any medical advice so definitely good to continue working with your GP - but I can offer some general info that might help. 

Depression is such a broad spectrum of experience, and definitely doesn't have to include sadness specifically. Sometimes it is apathy, or overwhelm. Most often, depression is the result of difficult circumstances or traumatic incidents, and sometimes it can come seemingly out of nowhere, but is still most often a result of something we might be dealing with in our daily lives.

From what you are describing, perhaps these headaches are from being overwhelmed with the tasks you have to put so much thought into, or something like that. Our minds and our bodies are inseparable, so being mentally distressed can often result in physical symptoms (and vice versa). 

We have some info about various mental health diagnoses which might be helpful to read about, you can find links here: Factsheets & Guides

I hope you find what you're looking for in the community - feel free to reach out if you have any questions! 😉

Interesting @HammerTime ,

When I read your post, I was thinking whether it’s hormonal? Have you had a blood test?

I’m only saying this because I get bouts of headaches during certain times in the day and it’s generally because of hormones or certain foods I have eaten.

To be honest, headaches can be anything!!! Be definitely keep speaking to your GP. I’m not a doctor. I can only share me experiences.

I have a migraine disorder and believe it is connected to my anxiety and depression. I have only recently learned the pressure headaches I experience are also a form of migraine. Not sure if u are a migraine sufferer?

hi @HammerTime i think its important to discuss this again with your gp. if you dont think a diagnosis sounds quite right then its worth investigating more.

for me i get headaches when im overly stressed or have various other triggers (like looking at a screen for too long) but i also have a migraine disorder as well as a neuropathic condition that causes headaches withoutany triggers too.

my suggestion would be to have a little journal and write down when you have headaches and see if you can find a trigger.

some gp's like to jump to mental health as the cause when in fact it could be various things. i would also suggest an eye test to see if your eyes are straining to much.

the journal i would definently suggest though. it could be hormonal, or another medical condition as well so its worth investigating if its affecting your life.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance