Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

WHY can't people keep secrets?!

I was in the car with my sister and my brother. My sister was asking me (again) why I can't go to work. I remained steadfast, that I was not going to say anything, and that it's over now.

My brother said, just off the cuff, that my manager told him what happened.

Umm, WHAT?!

I know my brother visited my manager, to ask her what happened. He told me "she confirmed it wasn't bullying, and she said it was your choice." I knew that... but I DIDN'T know that she went into detail.

I asked him, later that night, "how much did she tell you?" He just said "enough to know what happened." 

I'm not totally satisfied with that, so I am going to speak to my manager to figure out what she said. I want to know what kind of an image he has of the situation, but I don't want to talk to him.

WHY, THOUGH? [...]! Remember when I said this?

Even though my manager is certain not to say anything, that would be deeply embarrassing...

Yeah, real certain.

Now I HOPE he's not going to tell anyone else in my family.. but that's the thing. Everyone down the line promises not to tell anyone else.

EDIT: OK, I talked to my brother and the leak is not as bad as I thought it was. He said that he didn't care enough to go out of his way to tell the rest of my family, and I'm going to take his word for that. I'm going to ask for this post to be deleted, for that reason, but thanks for reading? Cheers.

1 REPLY 1

Re: WHY can't people keep secrets?!

Hi  @Former-Member - This happened to me when I was sick.  I wanted things to be private and stuff, but my mum always butted in - she even rang up during a meeting between a psych and myself.

People just love gossip, no matter what you tell them permission wise.  I hate it too 😞

I had to learn like when I was going out somewhere, I would say, 'I'm going out', versus, 'I'm going to this guy's place now' or something like that.

I guess families are there to protect you, but I think the gossip stuff is due to a lack of understanding of mental illness. 

Anyways good luck with it all 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance