Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

ob1_on3
New Contributor

Unsure how to help family member

Hi,
I just found this resource and I feel so lost and helpless.

My elder sister has developed symptoms of paranoia schizophrenia. She has not been diagnosed in Australia and the only time I managed to get a medical team to see her, she was completely normal (almost confident) despite having attacked me with glassware minutes before.

My understanding of paranoia schizophrenia is derived of an earlier diagnosis that was completed in her homeland a few years ago when she was experiencing paranoia resulting from PTSD caused by a prolonged divorce battle, lasting a few years.

She sees people, talks to them and imagines everyone (including me) is conversing with them. These people are often those in news, people she's met, those who've wronged her or who she's conflicted with in the past. She has visions and says she is scared to close her eyes because they haunt her. She does not trust anyone, and often believes everyone is conspiring against her, including the government. Within minutes, she gets uncontrollably angry. I have prevented many car accidents as she attacked me while I was driving (she was in the passenger seat) for reasons as little as lowering the volume on the radio.

I am the only family she has in Australia and she has completely isolated herself from everyone. She recently got evicted from her rental accommodation because she was deemed a danger to the property. I have managed to get her a hotel room but I don't know how long I can afford to keep her like this. I can barely sit through 10 minutes with her without fearing being attacked by her.

My parents have visited, stayed for months trying to convince her to go back home so she can be safe and be treated but she is stubborn (always has been).

The only advice I have received is that I can not do anything because she will never give her consent to a treatment. Is there anything I can do?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Unsure how to help family member

Hi @ob1_on3

Welcome to the forums, it's nice to have you here.

After reading your post I just wanted to say I really feel for both you and your sister. I can understand why you feel so lost and helpless - it sounds like you are in a really hard situation. It would be very difficult and challenging to get your sister support if she does not want / accept that she may need it.

Do you have a GP you can talk to about your sister? Maybe your GP could offer you some guidance about how to best help her?

I wish i could give you some insight into paranoia schizophrenia but unfortunately i don't know much about it. If you click on the information and resources tab above you will find further information that may help you.

If your sister is ever an immediate danger to herself, you or anyone else please call the police on 000 for help. 

It must be very difficult for you to have no family in Australia - this is a big burden to carry alone. I hope at least you can talk to your family and friends about this so you have their support.

Hopefully some others in the forums will be able to offer you some insight or advice.  

I really do wish you and your sister all the best.

FloatingFeather

Hi @ob1_on3, welcome to the forums, I hope this strong community of carers can give you some support ❤️ 

Thank you so much for sharing your story and experiences here. It takes a lot of courage to ask for help, and I'm glad that you have. It's so clear that you want the best for your sister. And I want to acknowledge that it must feel really crap to have people tell you there isn't anything to do, especially when it feels like it's a crisis. I'm sorry. ❤️ 

Getting people admitted to hospital without their consent should be a very last resort because it can be quite traumatic. But this guide has some really useful information on how to support people experiencing psychosis and on how to have a conversation with them about seeking treatment. It could help you start the conversation about treatment in an empowering way which might help with her agreeing to it?

Here are some other forums resources which might be useful

And I want to repeat what @FloatingFeather said, if at any point you're worried about your own or your sisters safety, please call 000

I also want to check in with you. It sounds like you're carrying a lot at the moment, but you don't have to do it alone. Here are some resources for yourself

You don't have to do it alone, 

TuxedoCat

Hi @ob1_on3 Thank you for sharing your story. It sounds like you're on a really difficult journey and I hope you have some supports in place for yourself. Your sister is lucky to have you and I understand you want to be there for her, but it's important to keep yourself safe in the process. 

I'm popping this thread here for you as it might be of use. @RiverSeal shares some really wonderful resources and I have found them very informative. Hope you do too. 

Please take care,

Paperdaisy 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance