Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

2qwerty
Senior Contributor

Redundancy

It's been awhile since i've been here, but I'm not sure where else to go to be honest. 

I've not had to face myself for a long time, I was sitting in a "comfort zone", even though it was bad for me, was helping to prevent the reality of who I have become. 

I had a job for 11 years, with the same company, and in June my role was made redundant. It was an awful environment and I was definitely pushing my limits...

I've not tried to get another job. 

Since it was a redundnancy, i've not immediately needed funds, and I am married so there is steady income in the household. I've just not been able to take that step. 

My anxiety has steadily been getting worse and worse, but it's also been freeing being at home without the stressors and obligations of work. It only takes a few responisiblities or appointments in my week to leave me in a perpetual stress.

The industry I work in is very intense. I thought i'd be fine until a friend of mine in the same field of work said her workplace is looking for someone in my "profession" and asked if I wanted to leave my details with her boss. I did and immediately went into panic. Cold sweat. What if I fail? What if i don't have answers to the questions. What if I struggle with the slog of travelling to a new far away work place, the drain of a full time job. The industry. The pressure to be perfect in the interview and beyond. I don't even have so much as an emailed job description yet, but I already spiraled and turned to alcohol as a solution to numb the stress, then questioned if there was a way to self medicate myself through employment without anyone knowing. Only one shot beforehand. No one could know. Surely...I rationalise. Knowing that's totally impossible to get away with. 

I wanted a part time role so I could feel less trapped in that corporate world but so far i've found nothing that fits. I can't bring myself to contact anyone and even having my details in the hands of ONE person who might not even use them paralyses me. I've not had to look for a job in over a decade and even then I was awful at it. I got a job out of pure luck last time and that took almost a year. 

I can't be what society needs, I'm not sure that exists. This focused, goal orientated, confident person? It's not a thing. Any attempt would be a lie. 

I'm so sick of people telling me to just try and it'll be fine. It's not that easy. 

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Redundancy

Awww @2qwerty ,

I'm so glad you posted. We are always here. 

I acknowledge the anxiety and the uncertainty right now. But I'm also wondering, are you perhaps over thinking? I guess there's a difference between preparing yourself and over thinking to the point of heightened anxiety.

You may hate people saying "take a breath".... I think at this point, it's about taking a step back so as to see the situation more clearly. How about you cross all those bridges you've spoken about....when you get there?

Just food for thought. 

Take care, 

BPDSurvivor

Hi @2qwerty 

I'm sorry your anxiety is so bad...I'm wondering if you have some professional support for it, to help you through this time? Maybe meds / a counsellor / a psychologist or a trusted GP to talk to?

Wishing you luck in finding a part time job that suits...

@NatureLover Have a psychologist but really feeling no change, if anything I'm getting worse as time goes by. I haven't tried to get a job so I can't see success in my future when I can't even get the nerve to attempt the first step of sending someone an application they might not even read.

@BPDSurvivor If I don't think about it before I get there, won't I just fail with 100% certainty? Because anxiety would want me to remove myself from the situation ASAP and not have any answers or responses to questions, so i'll fight or flight and not succeed. Overthinking? Absolutely, but under thinking seems problematic also.

Have you considered taking on a volunteer role to build up your work skills, or seeing a mental health OT?

No, I am too anxious to get a job and definitely too anxious to volunteer. That's the same process in my opinion. Putting yourself out there, either way. I  have work skills I don't feel confident using. 

Hi @2qwerty ,

Thank you for sharing. I hear your anxiety and frustration, and I'm sorry to hear your feelings have been dismissed by others. I can relate to the fear and uncertainty around entering the job market too, making yourself vulnerable to a stranger's judgement is incredibly difficult!

It seems it has been quite overwhelming to manage all of this on your own, as you're experiencing panic and cold sweats. What kind of support do you feel you need during this stressful time?

Heart from cloudcore

@2qwerty wrote:

@NatureLover Have a psychologist but really feeling no change, if anything I'm getting worse as time goes by. I haven't tried to get a job so I can't see success in my future when I can't even get the nerve to attempt the first step of sending someone an application they might not even read.

I'm sorry to hear, @2qwerty .

I'm wondering if some meds might help, as it's affecting your functioning...the meds might just be for a time, to help you through? Just a thought...

Hoping for some relief for you soon from the anxiety. 

Hugs @2qwerty HeartHeart here for you my friend xx

hello @NatureLover@cloudcore@Gwynn@BPDSurvivor 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance