Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

blueberrymuffin
Contributor

Psychosis Schizophrenia

I start to wright.....then I delete it , then I say to myself  , is it worth writing really does anyone want to read what I have to say.

I was  diagnose with  psychosis  schizophrenia back in March and spent 3 weeks in  hospital ( my first time )

I don’t understand my  diagnosis 

At the hospital when first  diagnosed the  psychiatrist asked how do I feel about the  diagnosis , at the time my body was full of medication that I just said yeah fine, now I feel different about that  diagnosis .

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Psychosis Schizophrenia

Hey there @blueberrymuffin, we're here to listen on the forums Heart How are you feeling about the diagnosis at the moment? Sounds like your view has changed?

I feel like I have been  diagnosed been put on medication and then left to  figure it all out by myself, I have a nurse but all she seems to care about is the medication ( which makes me feel  tired and doing very little throughout the day).

I feel lost.

Hey there @blueberrymuffin I’m a fellow schizophrenia diagnosed person. It can sometimes be hard to live your life despite such a stigmatising label. It’s also easy to become lost, I know I’m still finding my way through and believe it’s a journey. 

What I recommend is finding some peer support groups or activities close by. Also support forums with people who have lived experience are great for support and tips on how to regain your life and know you’re not alone in your recovery.

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you for the recommendations 

and thank you for reading my post.

Hi @blueberrymuffin 

Sometimes I am not sure whether it is the wrong thing to welcome people to these forums as usually the journey here starts with a MH problem, but gotta start somewhere.

The over-reliance on medication is a huge problem. Of course people need guidance and some help formulating plans and ways of coping.

Hope it helps to post here and read other's experiences.

Take Care 

Hi and welcome @blueberrymuffin!

What a brave person you are to reach out as you have. Smiley Happy

Cheer bear.jpg

Finding people who know how difficult it can be when first diagnosed is a huge plus in the scheme of things. I hope you stick around as this forum has wonderful and kind members to listen, encourage and care.

I'm sorry the med's are slowing your mind down. It might be an idea to ask questions with your nurse. They can hopefully explain things in a way that helps you understand and not be so confused.

Looking forward to hearing from you again...

Hope x Heart

Hi @blueberrymuffin , I can relate to your post regarding the medication. My 31 year old son was diagnosed about 2 years ago now, after quite a few admissions to hospital, then after about an 8 week stay he was diagnosed with schizophrenia and the doctor at the time asked how I felt about it too...at the time, I was just glad he was getting some kind of treatment.

Now he has been on a community treatment order for 2 years, having an injection every 2 weeks without any other consultation, except for a quick visit to see the psych dr at the hospital every couple of months.

He has a case manager, who I try to connect with, but there is only so much that he does...I'm at a loss too, where is al the help??

Take care, and keep writing...I call it "typing it all out",

Cheers Libra xo

Hello everyone and blueberrymuffin, I am a sufferer of a Mental Health problem I was first diagnosed asa Bi Polar . At the time they really didn't know or understand exactly whatI was suffering. I myself am not worried about what they want to call it. As it is the symptoms of a patient that is needing to be treated, not to come up with a label to name it. I suffer more from the Psychosis side of the illness. Of which there is leading up symptoms which can be seen way before reaching a Psychotic state of mind. I have found that the first early warning sign is when my sleeping times begin to get less and less. Eventually reaching a stage where I am not sleeping at all. Now when I have a night where I haven't slept I have the ability to take PRN which is extra medication to try to curve the situation to regaining a proper sleeping pattern. If I go the second night without sleep I contact the Doctor to arrange a 24 to 48 hour stay in my local hospital. As you don't want to go that third night as on average that is when the mind falls into a state of Psychosis. I have suffered this since 1995. Myself I see the state of Psychosis being like you are dreaming while you are awake. This is why you end up with distorted reality from what it should actually be. As dreams ain't reality but a mere perception of someone unconcious mind while they are sleeping. While the medication keeps a person stable , it is still not a 100% guarantee against falling ill. Try to take note for early warning signs. Signs that will show up before reaching athe Psychosis state of mind. As every individual has different early warning signs associated to them. If you are in Australia you should have some form of local Mental Health department of which you should be able to obtain a free counceling service to help setup Mental Health Plan. This is a way you can have legal documentation that allows you while you are well to setup how you are to be treated if you become unwell. As while you are unwell you really haven't a say in how you should be treated as you are considered not capable in doing so while unwell. I hope this goes to helping some of you out there that suffer from this form of Mental illness that associates around the Psyhosis part of the illness.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance