Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

ZoNav
New Contributor

Partner is drinking heavily on new med changes

My partner has, within the past two months, had two suicide attempts and one hospitalisation to a MHU. She has been keeping her appointments with her psychiatrist and she recently just had a consultation with a psychologist. But she is drinking heavily every night and it is stopping the new med changes from working. She also forgets to take her meds and can even go a couple of days not taking them. Unsure of how to gently address her drinking without sounding confrontational or making her become defensive with me.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Partner is drinking heavily on new med changes

Hi @ZoNav,

Welcome to the forums 🙂 It is so courageous to come to a new space and share what is happening for you. Sorry to hear that your partner is struggling, that sounds so challenging. It is great to hear she is engaging with help, but the drinking preventing medication from working sounds concerning. 

I would be really interested to hear what other forum members have to say about discussing with loved ones behaviours that we know are not so good for their recovery or health. 

I hope you find the forums helpful. If you would like to 'tag' another member just put @ in front of their name. 

Here is a 'closed' discussion (one that members can't contribute to anymore) discussing caring for someone who struggles with drugs or alcohol. 

And here is a thread where you can introduce yourself to the carers forum if you would like, it is completely optional! 

And lastly I am wondering if you or your partner would benefit from calling Direct Line, which is a 24 hour helpline for people concerned about drug or alcohol affecting them or a loved one. Their number is 1800 888 236. 

Take care, 

Tortoiseshell

@ZoNav Hi ZoNav and welcome to the forums :). Yes this is a tricky one as I have a mental illness and am also a carer of my adult son. When my drinking was getting out of control it was when I was really sick and my ex partner brought it up in a way that was very confrontational (at least I thought it was at the time).  How does the saying go 'Softly, softly cachee monkey'.  Slow and steady is the key (at least for me it was).

Now I have my meds working for me and don't drink at all due to the effect it has on me.  I am at the best place I have been in a long while. It is boring though ... My advice would be to give you partner some time discuss it with her calmly and maybe as a bit of incentive for her to stop drinking if you didn't drink either (I don't know whether you do or not this is no criticism).

Wishing you and your partner luck and hope to see you around the forums. greenpea 🙂 

@ZoNav

Can I ask if the drinking is an ongoing issue or as your thread title suggests has this emerged with the new meds?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance