Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

attachedbear903
Casual Contributor

Need help with some advice please I'm not sure what to do??

Hi I have a 16 year old daughter who has severe mental health issues. She has been in and out of hospital five times in the last year. She missed all of year 10. Where trying to get her back into school but it's been too stressful for her due to very poor concentration and other issues. And unfortunately it maybe a case of she may not be able to do main stream schooling. But we want her to be able to meet some of her education goals. Is there anything out there schooling why's that may just help us get her there. I'm so stressed and confused about what to do. Her doctor hasn't been much help with this so far. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks again

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Need help with some advice please I'm not sure what to do??

@attachedbear903  Hi attachedbear903 I am a mother of two adult children with mental health isses and have a mi myself. IMHO it is probably too soon to send her straight back into a normal schooling situation unless maybe it could be part time ..... I suppose it depends on where your daughter wants to go with her eduction.  If it is university there are different pathways to uni other than doing the hsc. I didnt do my school certificate but went through uni through one of those pathways and now have a degree.  Your daughter could also do her schooling (when she is ready) through tafe. Tafe supplies a tutor if needbe for note taking.

In any event I would say it is paramount that she keeps her friends where possible. That would be more important to her self esteem and mental health then schooling. Schooling as I have said can wait for when she is well enough to cope with the stresses of studying.  Anyway that is my two bobs worth. I wish you and your daughter well on her mental health journey.greenpea

Hi thanks heaps for replying to my post. It is part time one class for two hours a day. I think she wants to do uni. But she just isnt in that mind frame to think that far ahead. But thank you for the TAFE information I didn't know they had that service. But yes I really don't think she is ready for any schooling just yet. It's only been about two months sense her last admittion. And where still trying to work through stuff. Friends I'm trying to get her to see more of if I can. But at the moment she isn't interested in much. Which is sad because it's not her. Thanks heaps for answering my question and helping me out. It's helped me think more about it all. 

@attachedbear903  Hey attachedbear903 if you have any more queries or want to talk with anyone put a @ infront of their name andd they will get a notification of your post. I really wish your family well. It is a long slow journey but your daughter has such a caring, supportive family that she will make it in the end.

Dont forget the other entry ways into uni it doesnt have to be via school if school is all too much for her. Love greenpeax

@greenpea 

Thank you. We have heard through the school about virtual learning. We have decided to give this a go so in the process of getting all the evidence done for enrollment. She can take it more at her pace and do it in her own safe environment which is at home. 

We have heard through the school about virtual learning.

We have decided to give this a go so in the process of getting all the evidence done for enrollment.

She can take it more at her pace and do it in her own safe environment which is at home. ----- that sounds very encouraging @attachedbear903 

Please keep us in touch xoxo

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance