Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Jess36
New Contributor

Mental slowing and memory issues from depression

• Hi I have a migraine disorder, adhd, generalised anxiety disorder and ptsd all professionally diagnosed.

Things have been particularly challenging lately as I started a new job and feel as though I have been very slow to learn the new information needing copious amounts of repatition. I am medicated for the adhd and migraine disorder (which I think is caused by chronic anxiety) but I'm really concerned about how mentally slow I have been and my memory, I have spoken to the doctor and am about to go on antidepressants as well as daily migraine medication and adhd medz. I am hopeful my memory improves again in general and my brain speeds up again. I'm a cluster of mental traffic and feeling a bit hopeless as all of these symptoms are now panick and anxiety related and now I'm depressed that I can't function like a normal person, anyway no idea where I'm going with this now. I just don't want to be alone with it. Any advice on how to fix this funk would be great, I excericise and eat decent. Desperate to start on my medication that I collect tomorrow hopeful it will help.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Mental slowing and memory issues from depression

Hello @Jess36. I see you posted yesterday but no-one has replied as yet. I'm replying just so you don't feel forgotten. Sometimes things are slow here, and on other occasions, we just don't know how to respond. At this moment, I'm in the latter group.

All I can say is that it seems that your brain is overloaded, taking in too much information and trying to be the best you can be–all at once.

I don't have a magic solution for you, unfortunately, but I'd just say, give yourself a break and stop trying to get everything right the first time you need to recall. I do things repeatedly before they become second nature; even more so when a lot of other information has intervened since the last time I needed it. People who think we should remember what we are told from the first time are the pits. Few have that ability unless it is not completely new information to them.

I hope things soon look a little brighter for you as you get into the rhythm of things.

Sending best wishes.

Re: Mental slowing and memory issues from depression

Hey @Jess36 Welcome to the forums. You have come to the right place 😊

I can certainly relate to those memory concerns and anxiety, as they are things I experience myself and I find sleep impacts these things as well. 

Sounds like you have a lot going on but you are in the process of getting some support and managing it. I'm wondering if this thread here would be useful for you to speak with some like minded people. 

Also, at the bottom of the page there are tags and if you click on them they will take you to all the related threads e.g. click on 'PTSD' and it will take you there. 

If you feel you would benefit from speaking to a counsellor the number for the SANE drop in line is 1800 187 263 

Wishing you all the best, 

Paperdaisy 

@Historylover 👋💚

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance