Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

wellwellwellnez
Community Guide

I got a friend with a drug problem

This is all happening now in real-time. I know someone that's hurtin' themself. Trying to stop. Got a lot going on while also processing trauma. Doesn't know who to trust. I'm no picture of sobriety and don't feel particularly qualified as a drug-counsellor but this person is dealing with serious stuff and waving the "help me" flag.

Any tips/resources? I feel like I need to update my do's and don'ts in these situations.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: I got a friend with a drug problem

Hello from the Lived Experience Forum! You look kind of familiar 😉. This is seriously like the second time I've replied to a post on here.

To sum up my point in seven words, "you can't pour from an empty cup." 

It doesn't even matter how "bad" your situation is or otherwise, I do not recommend putting yourself into a position that you're uncomfortable with in that regard. 

Trying to help someone you can't has it's own unique risks.

For example, if he does well and then he relapses or something happens, there is a risk you could blame yourself for it, and that can start a thought spiral within YOU, even though HE was the one that was really affected by it.

There are certainly things you can do, but that really depends on what he would like, and it sounds like he's not ready to identify what he needs to get better.

In terms of resources, I am not entirely sure how the process works, but I found two good places to go.

• There is a National Alcohol and Drug Hotline. 1800 250 015. I didn't know that; there are hotlines for everything!
  • The Australian Drug Information Network is also a good place to start as well..
    • adin@adf.org.au.
    • 03 9611 6100.

Funnily enough, I used a website to find those resources, and they also recommended SANE 😂.

All the best!

Finally, I think it's important to remember that it's quite the testament to you that you are willing to help him. Really, though, that's why you should consider yourself first, because you deserve to be healthy.

@wellwellwellnez .

Totally good advice. Addiction and attachment are basically cousins in the brain. I have, not too recently, suffered from "empty cup syndrome" and still quite convinced that running on a dry cup helps no-one. It's been a balance for sure ('cause I've also gotta work on my "tiny world syndrome".)

Other people (in this case me) can be mentors and allies but in these cases people also have to be their own heroes. It's the only sustainable way.

@wellwellwellnez 

Smiley Happy

@Former-Member 

Smiley Happy

Cant say much. Just Yes.  Look after yourself as you reach out ot others.

Apple

@wellwellwellnez 

Try to look past the drugs... It sounds like the drugs are a reaction and not a cause.  Let them know that they should get treatment for the causes/trauma.  

I also agree, look after yourself. It's not your problem to solve but the best thing you might be doing is just being an ear to help the person talk to and letting their brain process all the events that have occurred. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance