Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Eden1919
Senior Contributor

How do you know when you should be concerned?

How do you know when you should be concerned about how you are going? like at what point is it time to say things are not ok and if your normal is not ok how do you know when you are past your ususal not ok and in really not ok territory? 

10 REPLIES 10

Re: How do you know when you should be concerned?

Hi @Eden1919. I could be wrong but I'm thinking you might be at that point where you are wondering whether you're OK or not and whether you should be concerned about how you are going? If so, sending you some thoughts as that can be really unsettling.

I think everyone would have their own signs or thoughts about when things are really not OK for them or beyond the usual. I've been working on a traffic light kind of thing with my psychologist and have some clear signs things are very not OK for me, which I find helpful. They include being really scared of myself (and the flip side of that - being very calm when thinking things that would usually feel a bit scary), feeling extremely agitated and looking for a fight, and having much more trouble with sleep than usual. Those things are usually signs I'm beyond my normal not OK and into "really not OK" territory.

How are you going with things today (if you feel like sharing)?

@Eden1919  Hey Eden1919 for me it is when I start having thoughts that if acted upon would end with me either back in hospital or worse than that the heavy duty hospitals where no one in their right mind would want to go (the ones that are more like jails than hospitals). That is when I know I am in trouble and need help. Anything that is dramatically out of character that could get you into trouble I would say is worth investigation. Love peaxx

@CheerBear @greenpea  thank you both for replying. I am just really not sure because on the one hand I don’t think I am going to do anything dangerous but I have started self harming again and I have been dissociating a lot lately. Plus I am constantly agitated and extremely anxious and am having multiple panic attacks each day, my eating just keeps getting worse and worse and my ocd issues are not under control at all and I am having trouble with hearing things and being scared of people and thinking things that others would not say was real. And I have been having trouble looking after myself like I can’t do things and am struggling with cleaning and laundry and everyday task things. I also don’t know because I can’t really talk to my professional supports about this because well partly I don’t trust them but also because I just cannot tell anyone some of the things that are going on. Like I cannot tell them or anyone else ever and I told them what I could but I don’t know I just don’t know if this is bad enough to think about or if I should just keep ignoring it, it isn’t like there is anything I can do anyway. I really don’t know. 

Hi there @Eden1919, I'm new here, in fact this is my first post. Something about what you were describing resonated with me, particularly the stuckness you seem to be having about whether things are bad enough. I tend to get into similar thoughts and loops in my head (which feels normal to me), and I can't talk about it either. I try sometimes, but there are parts of me that aren't able to trust others and communicate, so it just doesn't happen. So far my best bet has been to keep trying to be kind to myself, and on the days when there is some clarity in my mind, then those parts are greatful for the understanding and kindness. I've spent a very long time kicking my own ass, and it has broken me, so maybe paying a bit of attention to that part that needs help is ok? I don't really know either - I just want some peace and quiet inside most days, but it seems like sometimes it helps to let it out rather than keep it in.

@james22  Hi and welcome to the forums. I guess I find it hard to open up even if I do feel like it is getting bad because of bad past experiences with health professionals so then knowing when to risk involving them vs if I can tough it out makes the whole problem even more difficult. 

Great just great this is not what I needed right now. Things just keep getting worse and like I do not feel ok at all but there is literally nothing I can even do anyway. I guess we are in for a long night of crying. If anyone has any terrible puns or crappy jokes that would be much appreciated. 

Hey @Eden1919,

I'm really sorry to hear you're not feeling okay at all. It sounds like it might be a rough time for you.
I'm super bad at coming up with puns and jokes under pressure, but did you hear that one about the peanut butter?
I'm not going to tell you though, you might spread it.

Ugh.

But truly, I hope things look up for you soon, and you can find some kindness for yourself through the bad times.

@rye  That was a terrible pun, it was perfect thank you. Things are still terrible but I am trying to see through the night. 

And things are still terrible. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance