Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

confusedbpd
Contributor

Can anyone else relate to this article

Hi all,

I have been reading an interesting article, which I can relate to very much. I feel that this is almost my story as living with parents both the same as mentioned in the article. My parents are not diagnosed but if they were I believe they fit the article well.

if any one would like to read this and give me feed back if this relates to you all all.

https://www.mentalhelp.net/blogs/the-borderline-personality-disordered-family-part-i/

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Can anyone else relate to this article

😊 @confusedbpd 

I think that there probably is truth in that article for some although it is kind of general. I read earlier that you were worried about whether your kids can have BPD too. I think (this is my own personal view not one based on facts) that if a mother or father has traits of BPD like emotion regulation and the child has a biological predisposition, then it makes sense that the child would struggle with emotion regulation as well. In my situation I think that is true. I have a son that would have some traits because I didn’t understand emotion regulation when he was little. I think though it’s never too late for people/our kids to learn things like emotion regulation. 

For me it gets a bit harder to link fear abandonment and other traits but I’m thinking that the article may make sense too. 

I think its great that you are aware and can have this insight. It will help you lots. 

To answer your question a little bit my parents don’t fit what is described in the article but I don’t have a straight BPD diagnosis either, I have traits of it and other pd traits. I can imagine that it would feel like connecting some big dots for you. That can be comforting. When I connected some of those big dots it helped a lot. 

I hope others share share their thoughts too. Best wishes 😊💜

Hi @confusedbpd , I can relate to some of the article.  My parents aren';t diagnosed with anything, but, my dad was an alcohiolic.  I suffered from extra attention compared to my brother.  I wound up being bipolar and he isn't.  My story is a bit more complicated than that though, I actually blame my brother more for that outcome than my parents.  I can understand why that may not make the most sense, but, thats how I feel about it.

Its nice to meet you btw and thanks for sharing the article.  Looks like a lot of information on the web page as well.

Thanks for sharing @confusedbpd, what aspects of the article did you identify with?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance