Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

photosynthesis_
New Contributor

Want to make some friends to feel less lonely

Hi, I'm new here.

I am living and studying in Melbourne alone and don't have many friends. Every day my life is filled with loneliness.

Let's make friends! We can take a walk or have a dinner together. Or anything else interesting. I want to live a fun life in Melbourne, not a lonely and sad one.

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Want to make some friends to feel less lonely

Wishing you a warm welcome to the forum @photosynthesis_😊

My name is Sirius and I'm one of the peer support workers here on the Forums. I’d like to acknowledge the courage it takes to open up and share your feelings here with the
community, as well as acknowledging them within yourself. Studying and feeling lonely is definitely something I can relate to, especially when it's nearing exam time! Do you have any activities/hobbies in place to try curb some of that loneliness? What do you like to do for fun?

Also, I just wanted to add that you've definitely come to the right place if you'd like to make some friends! I'm going to tag in some of our wonderful community guides to wish you a warm welcome to the forums.
@Snowie @NatureLover @Eve7 @Flying_Hams @Shaz51 @Anastasia @wellwellwellnez @HenryX @outlander @Faith-and-Hope @Aniela @pinklollipop15 @Boo13 @maddison @Zoe7 

It would be great to hear how you’re getting on in the forums @photosynthesis_  💜

Take care of yourself.

Sirius

Hello @photosynthesis_  Welcome to the forums! It’s great that you have joined us here.

I’m in Qld so I will let you know when I’m going for a walk and maybe you could walk at the same time in Vic.

Take care

Hi @photosynthesis_ What are you studying?

Welcome, @photosynthesis_ !

I'm sorry you feel lonely and sad 😞

Unfortunately we're not permitted to meet up in real life...it's to keep us safe when we're talking about our mental health (the anonymity rule).

But we 'meet up' here on the forums and share a cuppa at the same time or a go on the exercise bike together in our own houses, etc. There are also plenty of social threads, like Good Morning , The Weekly Friday Feast , and Saturday Soiree - all welcome . You can see more social threads in Social Spaces .

A handy forum tip is if you type @ and then click on a name in the drop-down box, that person will get a notification and won't miss your reply to them.

You can also type any topic into the Search bar above for threads on that topic. 

I hope you find the forums supportive.

Hello @photosynthesis_ how are you this morning 

Going to have a hot cuppa , sitting with you 

Hello @NatureLover , @Zoe7 , @Eve7 , @Sirius , @Peregrinefalcon 

What things do you like doing when you are not studying 

Hey @photosynthesis_  welcome to the forums! It’s a pretty friendly and safe place here, hope that you make some friends amongst us folks here. 

what are you studying? 

🎀

Hi and welcome to the forums @photosynthesis_ …. 👋🪷

@photosynthesis_

It's hard aye? I think in this day and age especially after the covid period lockdowns and such. It's so hard to meet and find genuine people. Also too - they are completely seperate realities aren't they?
Meeting people is one thing in its own right and then finding genuine people is another too.

Much like yourself, I am in a bit of similar phase. I know many people, but I feel i am not connecting.

I came across a good term recently "parasocial" - which is like another way of saying fake. I don't think it is just relationships but also true for friendships.

That's the less-nice news

But allow me to top that with some good news. The good news I think is that more and more people are feeling very similar. Just from what I notice.
Loneliness is way more common than we care to imagine. And in a world where materialism runs rampant we are also marketed things as if they were so critical to our lives - and i think the idea of having so many friends in our lives is one of those. Or put another way - quality not quantity is what we need. Also too - being in the real world is key to this in my experience. I hope you're able to find something for yourself here on the forums.

I remember someone once telling me that making friends is an organic process. With that in mind, that's where we start I think.

Thanks for joining the forum and I hope to see you around 🙂

Hi @photosynthesis_ and welcome to the Sane forums.

I'm sorry to hear of your loneliness but glad you are reaching out.

I live in VIC too and find it hard to make friends.

I hope you find the support you are looking for. Is there a local community group you can join?

Please let us know how you are going.

Take care 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance