Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: How can we brighten our days with laughter? What are your jokes, thoughts, ideas?

images (55).jpeg

Re: How can we brighten our days with laughter? What are your jokes, thoughts, ideas?

images (37).jpeg

Laughter is one of life's great natural medicines. Don't we all feel better after having a good laugh? It's scientifically proven that laughter is a really strong medicine, and results in significant health benefits. Did you know that laughter gives your mood a boost, helps to diminish pain, protects you from the many ill-effects of stress and aids your immune system?

Kids seem to laugh a lot, but as adults we tend to become more serious and laughter becomes less frequent. No doubt everyday stresses and adult responsibilities play a large part in this transition.

Wouldn't it be nice to find ways or opportunities to seek more humour and to be able to laugh more often? In doing so, you're (apparently) on track to improve emotional health, strengthen relationships, find greater happiness and possibly even add years to your life expectancy. And perhaps best of all, laughter - as an invaluable medicine - is fun, free, and user friendly.

When we're in the depths of depression and anxiety it often seems almost impossible to find anything to laugh about. So this thread is a great  place to start sharing the benefits of laughter, and providing a place to share what makes us laugh and perhaps discover new ways of bringing laughter back into our lives.

Humour is a highly individual thing. We all laugh at different things, find different things funny. We all have a different sense of humour. Our thinking is different to others, and not all of us always 'get' jokes.  I know I often dont.

Sometimes another's laughter in itself is cause for infectious laughter. Even our individual laughs are so different. Have you ever heard some people laughing and all you can do is actually laugh at the laugh itself? Some giggle, some snort, some have true belly laughs ... all very unique and special. All equally beneficial to our mental health and wellbeing. Even 'false' laughter is beneficial to us apparently. So perhaps there is something to be said about 'faking it until you make it' when it comes to laughter?

My research tells me that there are considerable mental health specific benefits to laughter, namely:

• It adds enjoyment to life
  • It eases anxiety and tension
  • It releases stress
  • It improves our mood
  • It strengthens our resilience

But mostly ...  laughter just makes you feel good. That good feeling you get when you laugh remains with you long after the laughter subsides. Humour helps you keep a positive, optimistic outlook through difficult situations, disappointments, and loss.

Laughter apparently gives us the courage and strength to find new sources of meaning and hope in our lives. Even in very difficult of times a laugh, or a simple smile, can go a long way toward making you feel better. And laughter is so contagious, because just hearing laughter primes our brain and causes us to smile and join in the fun. 

At a time I'm badly in need of an emotional boost, I'm looking for ways to find a little laughter in my life.  How do we go about finding that though?

Thanks @CherryBomb for opening this thread and also to @Lauz @Margot @Determined @Former-Member for keeping it going.  I've had a read through and thank you all for the contributions and for keeping this thread going.  I think laughter is a very important aspect in our lives.

Sherry 🤣

@Former-Member

I don't think I would have survived without humour.  There are still some things I cannot laugh about but like to think I have a funny in my collection for almost any occasion or can source one fairly quickly 😀.

There are plenty of old comedy shows, comedians and funny videos on YouTube which can be a starting point.  A lot of these are very  witty and don't resort to swearing or smut to get a laugh. I am not a total prune, sex after all is part of life and I do find a lot of bodily functions highly amusing ... 😀.

Seeing the funny side of things,  such as if a drink is spilled makes life bearable (another gem that required humour was when my sister rang in exasperation, she found my mum only had 3 pairs of knickers left;  she had donated her used underwear to a worthy cause).  When Mr D is finding things rough going, laughter can help diffuse a situation.

Yes, people have different senses of humour and styles. Here on the forum I hope that what I post does not offend but rather brings a few smiles and somehow lightens someone's day. 

There is the "something to smile about" thread too. 

images (10).jpeg

images (6).jpeg

unnamed.gif

A few jokes for your enjoyment  ..........

WHO DOES WHAT?

A man and his wife were having an argument about who should brew the coffee each morning. 
The wife said, 'You should do it because you get up first, and then we don't have to wait as long to get our coffee. 
The husband said, 'You're in charge of cooking around here and you should do it, because that's your job, and I'm happy to wait for my coffee.' 
Wife replies, 'No, you should do it .... besides .... it is written in the Bible that the man should do the coffee.' 
Husband replies, 'I don't believe that, show me.' 
So the wife fetched the Bible, opened the New Testament and showed him the top of several pages. And it did indeed say:  'HE BREWS'

CREATION

A man said to his wife one day: "I don't know how you can be so stupid, but also so beautiful at the same time".

The wife responded: "Allow me to explain - God made me beautiful so you would be attracted to me, and he made me stupid so I would be attracted to  you".

THE SILENT TREATMENT
A man and his wife were having some problems at home and were giving each other the silent treatment.
Suddenly, the man realized that the next day, he would need his wife to wake him at 5:00 AM for an early morning business flight.
Not wanting to be the first to break the silence, he wrote on a piece of paper, 'Please wake me at 5:00 AM. He left it where he knew she would find it.
The next morning, the man woke up, only to discover it was already 9:00 AM and he had missed his flight. Furious, he was about to go and see why his wife hadn't woken him. Then he noticed a piece of paper by the bed. The paper said, 'It is now 5:00 AM. Wake up.'

Sherry Heart

images (133).jpeg

vian-hat-manhattan-37460796.png

4f816fe308bf2a21363f999a08800f59.jpg

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance