Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Antelope
Contributor

Going around in circles

Hi Everyone,

I am new here. I have been going around in circles trying to work out how to use this forum.

My depressed mind is confused and I am not sure how this works...even after reading all the introduction information.

I orginally signed up in April, have tried a few times to connect and get confused!

Any tips for someone who just doesn't get forums?

Thanks

19 REPLIES 19

Re: Going around in circles

Hi and welcome, @Antelope ! it seems to me you've done it just fine - you've started a new thread for yourself! Then people can post and support you, on your thread here. 

You can also introduce yourself with 3 random things about you, either here on your new thread, or on the Introduce yourself here  thread. 

You can also type any subject (e.g. depression) into the search bar, to find threads on that topic. Then you can join in by hitting the Reply button. 

A handy forum tip is if you type @ and then click on a member's name in the drop-down box, that member will get a notification that you've replied to them - like I did for you in this post.

I'm sorry to hear you have depression - depression really sucks (I have it too). You'll find a lot of members understand.

Well done on getting connected and starting your own thread 🙂

Hi NatureLover,

Thank you so much for assisting and welcoming me. I don't do a lot on computers! This may be a funny question but what is a "drop down box" ? Is that the Post Options box or something different?

Once I understand the language of the forum I might be able to find my way around! For me it is a bit like being in a foreign country!

A bit like the title of this thread, having depression can make me feel like I am going aorund in cirlces, I'm sure many here can relate to that.

Three random things about me:

1) I like to sing out loud in the car with the radio on

2) I enjoy being out in nature

3) I'd like to do a motor bike ride along the coast at sunset or sunrise

Hi @Antelope , the drop-down box appears when you type @. It has the names of recent contributors to your thread in it, so you can click on one to send them a notification, otherwise they might miss your reply. 

I enjoy being out in nature too. 

Good luck and I hope you enjoy exploring the forums.

@Antelope 

Hellooo

I love all of your 3 things.

Smiley Happy

I dont get on motor bikes any more, but am so glad I have memories riding on our local surf coast when I was a teen! 

There is no right way to use the forums.  There are guidelines to keep a level of safety, and I accidentally forget them so dont get too wound up about them.  WOrk with the mods and keep having a go, if there are things that resonate or mean something to you.

Now I have old lady grumpy status.  A long way from my wild child, but she is still there inside me.

Smiley Happy

@Antelope  Just a welcome from me. 

The forum lauguage falls into place as you use it. Once you get a bit of confidence, it grows. You are doing well. 👍👍

Hi All,

I've not been around for a couple of weeks. Not feeling all that good and have had a family tragedy.

Trying hard to not let depression get a hold. 

I know there are coping skills I can use, but it is not always easy putting them into practise.

Do any of you have skills you find helpful?
Anyone tried Cognitive Behaviour Therapy or something similar?

Or does keeping busy help you?

Maybe writing stuff out will help get it out of my head.

Does replacing negatives with positives diminish the cause of your issues inthe first place?

Mixed emotions and mixed thoughts.

what’s in your tool box?  might help.

@Antelope  I personally find different things helpful at different times. Sometimes writing, something crafts, music, garden, shower, meditation etc. sometimes, nothing helps at all, and it’s tough.

I’m sorry you are dealing with a family tragedy. That’s really hard. Sending caring thoughts. 💙💙💙

@Antelope sorry to hear you are dealing with so many things especially a family tragedy.  It is never easy and it is good you are reaching out here.  Being able to express yourself here openly and freely I think will help.  You can find peace here that there is no judgement and plenty of support all round.  

one of the other things that has helped me get through trying times is practicing small gratitude exersizes.  Think of 3 things every morning that you can be grateful for.  It may simple insignificant at the beginning, but I believe over time it helps.  

Always here if you need to talk and unload........thoughts are with you

Hi

I'm still struggling to understand how this site works! I am having trouble even finding my own post!

I will try to read the instruction/information section again. Sure wish I understood modern technology easier!

I am ready to give up on this before I have even really started.

My depression is bad at the moment and I know that is not helping. Crying seems to be a huge part of my days.

I even considered booking myself into hopsital as I felt so lousy and a little unsafe.

I do try to find things to be grateful for. Maybe writing them down will make it feel more real.

Think I am so mentally exhausted I am just in survival mode and walking around like a zombie.

Really do wish I understood this site better! My mind shuts down when I try to use a computer! Does anyone else have panic attacks when they feel overwhelmed when not understanding modern technoology?

Depression can be so controlling!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance