Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

PeterTautua
New Contributor

Brother

4 weeks  ago was my brothers second attempt to take his life  

at the moment I’ve been trying to get him a gp psychologist etc 

I am in awe on how we’ve been treated no wonder why people with mental health find it hard to seek help 

I’m exhausted and lost but I try not to show it 

We reached out to Logan mental health and they turned us away said we needed to see a gp 

we told them we seen one already 

I wake up during the night thinking what’s our next move mean while my brothers in good spirits thinking I got things under control 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Brother

Hi @PeterTautua,

Welcome to the forums. My name is FloatingFeather and I am one of the peer support workers at SANE.

I just wanted to say I really sympathise with what you and your brother are going through. I have a close family member who was diagnosed with a serious mental health condition many years ago and I have walked alongside my family trying to navigate the mental health system too. 

Hopefully (like in my family member's case) you will soon find someone (my experience was that it just took one great person that pointed us and supported us in getting to where we needed to be) in the mental health industry that can help you.

I would also encourage you to get some support as well. Being a support person of someone that is struggling like your brother can be a very lonely and tiring experience and (from my experience) support people don't realise the toll of taking care of a loved can take on them. Do you have any family or friends you could talk to?

If your GP was not able to help would you be able to see another GP for a second opinion. Maybe a different GP may have alternative ideas / suggestions to how best help your brother?

On another note / for future reference (just a friendly heads up as you may not be aware) but due to the anonymity rules at SANE we don't discuss specific locations. This is just to ensure our users are anonymous and safe.

I really do wish you and your brother all the best. Please reach out anytime on the forums - there are some very supportive and wise members that can offer great insight and support.

Best wishes,

FloatingFeather

Re: Brother

@PeterTautua 

Its really hard.  I had my brother discharged into my care. 

Hard when it is a sibling and we do not have too much LIFE and social capital "in the bank" ourselves.

Keep looking and nurture your solution focussed optimistic side.

Good luck

Apple

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance