Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Social Spaces

Daisydreamer
Senior Contributor

πŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆ IDAHOBIT: Week long discussion πŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆ

IDAHOBIT Week Long Discussion

Picture 1.png

What is IDAHOBIT?

Monday the 17th of May is IDAHOBIT (International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia, Interphobia and Transphobia).

IDAHOBIT was first celebrated 31 years ago when the World Health Organisation (WHO) removed homosexuality from the Classifications of Diseases and Related Health Problems.

Across the globe, IDAHOBIT raises awareness of the discrimination faced by LGBTQIA+ people and creates a space for discussion about LGBTQIA+ rights by celebrating and elevating the voices of people in the community! This year in Australia, IDAHOBIT is supporting the work of Minus 18 who are working to change the lives of LGBTQIA+ Youth.

There is still work we have to do to create a more inclusive society, and this week we will be supporting and raising up the voices of our LGBTQIA+ Community here at SANE.

How will we be celebrating IDAHOBIT on the forums?

We are holding a week long discussion to highlight the voices of our LGBTQIA+ community at SANE, celebrate pride and to raise awareness of the issues that the community continue to face.

Each weekday from the 14th-25th of May 2021, we will be posting a new question in the morning to this discussion for the community to share their thoughts on.

How can you get involved?

There are tons of ways to show your support and get involved:

1. Check back in each morning to see the new question and post your response.
  2. If you see a response that you resonate with, click the β€œsupport” button to show you are listening
  3. Tag members who you feel might be interested to contribute to the discussion
  4. Share resources that you have found helpful or that might be educational for those reading along

What other events are happening for IDAHOBIT?

If you want to get involved with some of the other activities happening across the world on IDAHOBIT Day, you can also check out the IDAHOBIT website. Some examples include signing a pledge, joining in workplace or community based events, or having conversations with the loved ones in your life. For resources on how to make the most of IDAHOBIT Day, check out the website above.

2.png

Open and honest discussions about social justice are really important, and we are committed to making this discussion a safe space for LGBTQIA+ people to share their experiences, thoughts and ideas. To keep this safe space and respect the experiences of our community, we ask that all members refresh their understanding of the community guidelines in advance so that we can make this discussion inclusive and welcoming.

52 REPLIES 52

Re: πŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆ IDAHOBIT: Week long discussion πŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆ

Tagging those members who supported an activity for IDAHOBIT day and helped to bring this discussion to the forums πŸ™‚ @petrichor @Adge @NatureLover @eth @HappyCastle 

Questions for Friday the 14th of May:

-   What are some of your favourite things about being LGBTQIA+?

-   And what parts of being in the LGBTQIA+ community bring you joy and resilience?

Hi...to try to answer the questions, I am "questioning", not sure about my LGBTQIA+ identity. Therefore I'm not sure about what my favourite things would be. I only dared to tell my questioning thoughts to people here on the forums for the first time recently (thank you, welcoming people!). So I am not really part of the LGBTQIA+ community (yet?). 

I'm unsure whether I've been so repressed all my life that it's only now, at this stage of my life, when I'm not suicidal or just struggling to survive mentally every hour of the day, that the lesbian or bi stuff has come to the surface. It's certainly likely. 

But I definitely want to support IDAHOBIT and the LGBTQIA+ community πŸ™‚

Maybe my uncertainty might help others to come forward and put questions, who knows!

People talk about it like it a fringe issue but one word, patriachy. It's not a fringe issue its the issue. We are loooooooooooong overdue for a binary overhaul. If we get it right, it'll solve 90% of the worlds problems indirectly in a matter of months (my math is SOLID). We just gotta let let love happen.

I heard Hobbit and I got excited.

Great initiative πŸ’•.

Fav thing about being in the queer community is the ability to be myself and to express myself how I want/feel. The LGBTIQ community is welcoming and inclusive and I don't feel judged for being me.

Great to see, you, @The-red-centaur ! πŸ’›

I enjoyed singing in Carols by Queerlight.  Had great conversations and met good people.

Happy IDAHOBIT to everyone! πŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆ

Some of my favourite things about being LGBTQIA+ is belonging to a community that's bursting with resilience. Learning from the stories and experiences of other people has been hugely important for me. 

And what parts of being in the community bring me joy? Music and dancing - The power of being in our safe space, surrounded by our people, celebrating life and love on the dance floor! Not only has this been historically such a celebration for the community, but absolutely in my life.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance