Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: rough time

Is that via headspace? @outlander

Do you find that sessions are directed by your or the psych?
I have found the best sessions are the ones where I direct what's spoken about.

But I guess that's hard if you can't find the right thing to say hey.

Channelled stubbornness can work in my experience @outlander

In other words it makes sure we don't take anything less than we know we want or need. Perhaps once you know what you actually want out of psych sessions you will be able to seek it and get it. Much like @Zoe7 said

Hey @Zoe7
👋

sorry I got stuck on the phone

@Maggie- ive tried now 6 psychologists- 2 moved away so it wasn't my doing to actually change from them. I would rather work with this one and try to build a connection with her rather then trying to find another one this time. I am trying to that but its proving to be quite hard to do.

@Zoe7 yes, your right I don't really have many choices so I would like to try and work with the supports that I have unless I really have to change this time.
I know im stubborn but not stubborn when it comes to this I don't think... I think maybe its more about what you said with trust, and always had to learnt to cope with things myself so struggled to accept help even though I asked for those supports myself.

Its not just the pdoc or the psych though, I had a really good connection with my nurse and also my gp and they haven't done anything to change that relationship but when I go now something inside feels different. Im not to sure how to explain it, I guess maybe the best way would be shutting down, even though its not intentional. I feel inside that everything 'drops'.
I have done the things that any of those supports have said right from the start including what the hospital staff when I was admitted there made suggestions.
I know that quite a lot of this is my fault like not knowing how to move forward or struggling to put things in place to move forward with the things happening now but I guess that's why besides my traumas I asked for some help too. The things happening now are one of the hardest things to talk to about for me even though its one of the things that I struggle with the most.

@Maggie also your never ever intruding, anyone is welcome to pop in and out as they would like Heart

yeah my current psych is through headspace @Flying_Hams ive been to a counsellor here twice. the first one was ok but she was only short term (about 2 months) as she focussed on suicide prevention upon discharge from hospital.
the sessions are directed by me but that's part of the problem and ive told her that. I find it better when there is abit of direction unless theres something really bothering me that I feel I need to talk about in that session. sometimes it honestly just feels like im forcing myself to go rather then wanting to go and speak to her.

@outlander  This might be a strange kind of question, but are you trying too hard? By that I mean, to please them. Therapy is about you, and when you haven’t been important through life, you get lost.

I tried a lot of psychs too, but finding someone who heard me, sometime not the spoken words either, but heard me through my actions, positive or negative. I’m not a communicator at all, so talking can be challenging. I write things that I can’t say, I’ve found that to be one of my strengths.

Talking about trauma brings things up that are very uncomfortable and unbearable. Once the session is over, the re living goes on in private.

I see @outlander

Sometimes I find that I go through periods where I am wondering what the point of psych help is because I trry it all.

I guess in your experience what usually works best? You mentioned direction on the part of the psych. But that this is potentially an issue for you.
Do you think you are avoiding certain areas of discussion or analysis?
Or maybe your independent mind takes over during sessions. I'm not too sure.

As I see it @outlander the only way forward is for you to actually find what you want to move forward with and in that regards it is up to you. I think there is a serious question to ask yourself - and I mean no disrespect here as it is a question many of us need to ask ourselves - that is ...do you actually want to move forward or are you stuck in this prepetual state of being unhappy because it is the most comfortable and knowledgeable one for you. I will explain that a bit better to clarify - often when we have had a disrupted childhood or upbringing where responsibilities and the usual pathway for children have not been a part of our lives we reach out for people to care about us in anyway possible - and that is not always in a healthy way. It does not allow us to grow socially or emotionally and we find solace in the misery because that is where we have had all the attention before. It takes immense personal growth and a lot of work to fight our way out of that mode of thinking and it has been obvious here to me that your upbringing has not equipped you with the necessary skills to deal with many of these social and emotional situations. That is not your fault though - you have had pressures and responsibilities lumped onto your shoulders that are not yours. I honestly believe that for you to be able to begin to move forward you have to tackle the inequality of relationship that happens between your mother and your sister. You are not their carer nor are you their mother but so much of the responsibiliy is placed on your shoulder. In effect your mother is avoiding the same responsibilities with your sisters as she did with you. You should not have had the responsibility of looking after your pop at your age either - that should have been the role of the older adults in the family. Both those things have a major impact on both your emotional wellbeing and social development. The physical things now are exacerbated by the other demands you unfairly have on you and quite honestly - something has to give but unfortunately it has to be you that makes those changes.

You also have not always done everything you could for yourself because others have demanded your time - and that you have given. What would happen if you said no - I think I know the answer to that but how is that any different to the way you are presently being treated. The ability to say No is also a skill you need to learn - it does get easier with time as well. I know you will say 'but I get even more grief from family when I say no' but quite frankly that is their issue and not yours. Boundaries with family are the hardest to put in place but you are worthy of your own life and I do agree partly here with your pdoc - the longer you resist those changes the harder they will be to make. But it ultimately has to come down to you - do you actually want to make those changes and do you actually want to find ways forward. 

As for you nurse and gp - sometimes we become over-familiar within those relationships when tey have been consistent and ongoing and when that happens it can be hard to open up as we once did. That is a form of self-protection as well - once someone knows so much about us we don't want them to know anymore and we don't believe in the trust we have placed in them because history tells us not to trust anyone. That may be where you are currently sitiing with both of them. There is also a line sometimes that we inadvertedly don't want to cross between the physical and emotional care - once our supports know us 'intimately' it can trigger the shutdown response even if we have a good relationship with them.

I honestly do not believe you are ready for trauma work whilst so much in your world is in chaos. In my opinion you need a more stable environment around you to be able to deal with all that stuff. Some people are never ready for trauma work or constantly re-visiting the past but that is something you need to talk to your pdoc and psych about and plan a way forward that best suits you and your needs. If you don't know where you want to go then how can you find a way to get there!

@Maggie mm im not to sure im trying too hard, sometimes I think I don't try enough though. Lost is a good way to describe it. That would be part of the way im feeling atm.
Ive written some things down before when ive not been able to get what I want to actually say out. I have thought about trying to do that but something is holding me back that way too. I feel stuck...

@Flying_Hams I don't know what works best. I haven't really stuck with a psych long enough to find what whats best, I just know some things that don't work well for me.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance