Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: desperately alone

PS

You might want to consider having ambulance cover if you don't already have it.

Maybe, i dont know, Ive never called a helpline before..plus I'm at work until 5.30 and then have an hour train ride home. I'd only be able to call when not around my partner so as not to trigger him. is the helpline open late?
Former-Member
Not applicable

@jade2 

You could use the online chat option on your way home (I think it goes off line if it reaches a limit) - here is the link to the page which has help line + chat line details.

https://www.sane.org/get-help

Hi @jade2 ,

I'm sorry that your partner is struggling so much with his mental health and that it is having a huge impact on you. It's great you've come to the forums for some extra support and that @Former-Member and @Determined have been able to give you some fantastic support and information. 

It sounds like things are hugely challenging at the moment, particularly if you are dreading going home in case he is suicidal or in a rage, and if he has tried to be admitted to hospital but was unsuccessful. I'm so sorry you're going through this. 

You can definitely contact the Sane helpline or webchat to discuss what's happening and think about some next steps. 

Thinking about your question of getting more support for your parter such as support groups, GROW have a lot of mental illness peer support groups nationally and a list of available support groups on their website.

I also thought I'd let you know of a few more threads that might be supportive like 'what to do when feeling overwhelmed' and 'carers hints and tips to success'.

Looking forward to seeing you more on the forums, take care in this tough time and keep reaching out.

Tortoiseshell 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @jade2 

How are you going?

@jade2  javebeen thinking of you lots today , are you ok xoxo

Hi Jade, 

My husband was diagnosed with BPD about 2 years ago. We found it really hard to find help initially too, but here are some of the services that we have been able to find: 

• We live in Sydney as well. After a suicide attempt, he was admitted to the emergency department in hospital. The hospital pyschiatrist then referred him to a DBT therapy program that is run by our local hospital in our Local Health area and is free. The prgram is in really high demand so my husband was put on a waiting list for about 1 year. He will be starting the program in October this year. The program provides him with 3 hours of group session and one hour of indivdidual session per week for about 18 months. I think all major local health areas in Sydney should have a similar program so you can ask the hospital about this. 
  • While he is on the waiting list, he has been seeing a private pyschologist referred by his psychiatrist. We pay out of pocket but with medicare rebates. However, because the psychologist is so popular it has been hard booking reguar appointments with her. Here's a link to some providers that treat BPD in Sydney: https://bpdfoundation.org.au/bpd-service-guide-treatment.php 
  • When my husband is very low and has suicide ideas, I call the Crisis team from our local hospital. They are a team of social workers and psychologists who can give you advice on how to deal with the situation and can also speak to your partner over the phone. I have found them to be helpful at times.

If anyone has any other suggestions please share.  I still find the system very hard to navigate at times. As for support for carers, if you ever want to have a chat with me, let me know 🙂

Those are some great suggestions @Squidlegs, thanks for sharing. @jade2, have you been able to connect with a GP or medical team?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance