Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Wait what did I come into this thread for again? Oh yeah, ADHD!

Thanks @TuxedoCat nice to hear from others. 
I was never really taught how my brain works in this different way and what I can do for it so I just find it hard it’s a process for me to work out what works for me, I like using the reminders and alarms in my phone a lot, started using a “life admin” notebook to keep track of things in case I don’t remember 

Hi @ArraDreaming thanks for sharing.

I have recently been diagnosed & started new meds & can relate to everything you are saying.

Whilst the meds have made an enormous improvement in some areas of my life, there is also the mental dramas of side effects (not too bad for me), feeling unsure about being on meds & all the things you mentioned. It's like an extra complication, when all I want is to simplify my life.

Personally, I have decided to stick with for around 12 months & then reasses.

It's not that I don't like myself without the meds, perhaps at this time I need it.

I am diagnosed quite late in life. Through necessity, I had taught myself many skills to manage my symptoms over the years. Some symptoms, such as staying focused with boring tasks or during conversations can require a lot of mental energy.

I believe it is very possible to manage without meds. ADD doesn't necessarily equal medication.

Medication can also be a great source of relief, if you feel your mind is over worked, either from diagnosis, or other life stresses.

Not sure if this has helped any. You are not alone in your thoughts! Sometimes, I think, when my mind starts to consider a medication, it is for a reason. Can I overcome obstacles without it? Would it be better for my mental health to try meds?

Kind regards,

maddison 

I decided to go back on them even though I would rather not

probably a mistake

Always make mistakes

Hey @ArraDreaming how are you today? 

Given how you feel about the medication, it seems like you're determined to reduce your symptoms. That determination is awesome. But I know you've said you're worried about it. So I'm sending lots of support and we're here if you need to vent ❤️ 

Did something happen to make you try meds again, even though you didn't find one that worked? 

Also, I don't know if you'd find this useful, but if there's somewhere your ADHD symptoms show up in your life that is worse, maybe we help with non-med strategies to cope? I see you've got a life admin notebook and using alarms (I do that too!). 

Anywho, we're sitting here through it with ya,

TuxedoCat

It was a suggestion/recommendation made to me. That’s why it came back up. 
I don’t know what areas it’s just general. Feeling I’m walking through fog all the time forgetting everything Mind goes blank all the time can’t concentrate 

Hey @ArraDreaming wanted to quickly say hi & that I can relate to the feeling of making of a mistake going back on the meds.

I am about 4-6 weeks in now. I am still questioning my decision, although I am gradually accepting it, & it is becoming easier.

This is only my first time though. I noticed you mentioned you had been on them before, so I cannot say what that feels like.

I think I find meds helpful, although, I think it's still too early to tell. The parts, that I do find helpful, don't seem helpful enough! It's good but also disappointing.

I think it will take at least a couple of months since starting, to really evaluate if my life has improved overall. I think, be gentle with yourself & give things time. 

You definitely don't 'always make mistakes!' I found your comments on the be yourself chat really helpful. Thanks. 

Thanks @maddison I do make a lot of mistakes but thanks your comment is really kind. I have been on/off medication for different things for a long time. Just really sucks. 

Your welcome @ArraDreaming & thanks!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance