Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

JMS
Casual Contributor

Starting to accept I need to manage Cyclothmia

Hello,

I'm 59 years old and have been trying to get help for my mental state since I was in my ealry 30's.  One GP diagnosed bipolar although I don't have very high "highs", rather, just super enthusiastic.  I did a Beyond Blue questionnaire that indicated Cyclothmia and that seems to fit.  I've lost count of the number of psychologists and doctors I've approached.  Although I'm on an anti-deressant and have been for 20 years, depression and anxiety along with impulsiveness and high moods continue and are getting worse.  I just don't know where to go now.  I'm looking into Neuro Lingusitic Programming and wonder if anyone here has tried it for mental health reasons.  I would rather try this path than take a mood stabiliser, which I was on for a short time (it just turned me into a zombie).  I have no support network and don't know how to suddenly aquire one.  I don't want to burden my few friends (I isolate myself alot) and my family members (I've tried that before and they are not receptive).   I know now that I need to be more proactive in managing this "condition" as I don't often know it's started until I find myself lying in bed all day again without the motivation to move or speak.  It is all I can manage to get in the shower some days.  I just don't know what to do next or who to talk to.  I know I SHOULD exercise but seem to have a natural aversion to it.  I also have regular migraine and am on medication for it.  I "lose" many days due to either depression or migraine.  Any advice would be welcome if you would be kind enough.

Finally asking for help,

JMS

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Starting to accept I need to manage Cyclothmia

Welcome to the forum @JMS, it's great that you are asking for help. It can be difficult to have the motivation to do the smallest things like shower. If you have an aversion to exercise, you probably won't want to get out of bed anyway to do so, perhaps you can look at something like walking to the cafe for a coffee, tea or hot chocolate and walking back. Is this something that you could add to your day?

Hi Ali, 

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post.  Yes that is something I could do.  The thing is, the motivation is just not there.  I think I really need to focus more on prevention than I currently do.  There's no magic wand is there, I need to find a way to get going while I'm well. Smiley Happy  I feel I almost need someone to poke me in the ribs everyday and say hey! go out and do something!  Thanks again for your reply.  It's already made me feel that someone is out there listening.  JMS

Content/trigger warning

How are you doing @JMS? You're right, there is no magic wand and every day is a practice Smiley Happy Have you heard of Jim Kwik? He says we should set our intention for the next day before we go to bed at night by writing down 3 things we want to achieve personally, and 3 things professionally. If he can do those 3 things for himself and his work then it's a good day. How do you work best, do you know what motivated you at other times?

Hi Ali11,
That's definitely something I could try. Thanks for checking in with me. I normally become motivated when I have a idea - unfortunately due to my hair trigger impulsive brain, starting on a new idea can result in spending, starting but not finishing etc. So getting enthusiastic is almost a warning sign to me that I am being impulsive. I'm enrolling in the Mindset Course and hope that I can get on track with it. Thanks again for taking the time to post.
JMS

@JMS& @Ali11 

Hi guys,

I was just going through some posts and your details and observations came up. Interestingly, I am also taking anti-depressants to alleviate the effects of depression.

I have been aware, for some time, that the symptoms that I experience correlate with cyclothymia. Your descriptions of the effects also are very similar to mine.

I have been interested in self-hypnosis and a little less so in 'neuro-linguistic programming' (NLP), though I believe that they probably both affect psychological/mental responses in similar ways.

I have found, over the past few weeks, using self-hypnosis, that I have been able to diminish anxiety. My aim has been to reduce anxiety while not removing memories.  The idea being, that reducing anxiety and the constant fight to deal with it reduces the stress that I experience. The fight against anxiety has been one of the more disabling of my symptoms. Retaining memories means that lessons and knowledge acquired from them are not diminished.

I have found that the process is more effective when I am rested and fresh, in the morning or during the day. If I try to apply the process in the evening, I simply end up going off to sleep without any benefit derived from the activity.

If either of you is still around, would like to know your thoughts and any other ideas you may have.

Cheers,

HenryX

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance