Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Newbie with schizoaffective disorder

Hi @jem80 . I don't have this diagnosis, but I want to thank you for your insight. I'm currently unemployed and can't imagine working again, even though I really want to. It's good to see there is hope for me at the end of this self work.

Hi all. I live with schizoaffective disorder and I have had mh problems for about 26 years. I have been in hospital about five times.  I am currently looking for recovery from the illness. I've read a book aboutit that I heard about here on the forum.  I think it's important to develop self care and self acceptance. 

I work and find that fulfilling.  Don't say that you will never work again as this illness can improve. I'm weaning off the antidepressant atm and trying to regulate all the emotions I am not used to. It's a slow process that is worth it.

Happy to help out with any information if I can 

@Misty99Hi! I have been diagnosed Schizoaffective as well athough I identify more with Bipolar. I was hospitalised in the past for it too, it took a lot of time to recover - always in recovery - but I'm getting there.The post-illness depression faded for me over time and I had good support from family, docs and peer support group which all help a lot. I hope your depression fades over time too. Stay hopeful and keep doing the right things.

My challenges going forward are managing stress and not letting little things tick me off and turn into bigger problems.

There are lots of different types of work, not unrealistic to think you might be feeling better down the track and up for something e.g. volunteering, part-time, study casual etc? Something to look forward to 🙂

Bez

Hi,

Sorry to hear your having trouble. I have schizoaffective bipolar and find keeping busy helps. Going for walks, watching reality TV etc. I am on sedating medication at present that of really like to get off of and onto something less exhausting. Will talk to psychiatrist this week. 

Best of luck

Hi,

I was first diagnosed with major depression over 20 years ago now. Then around 12 years ago with PTSD

Then over ten years ago with Major Derpression and Anxiety.

Now two years ago with Bi-Polar

1 and a bit years with schizophrenia And most currently around 3 months ago as Schizoaffective Disorder! 

So trust me when I say I've had enough kicks to the guts and rugs pulled out from me to know how hard it is to process such diagnosis. 

The best way that I have had it described to me is that if Schizophrenia and BI-Polar had a baby then it would be called schizoaffective disorder. 
it makes it all the more complex to absorb why it is that you feel the way you do at times cos that symptom manifests in Schizophrenia in these ways and then under BiPolar is different yet both have similar outcomes when not treated. . . Hospitalisation! 
It's hard to grasp and understand but even the best psychologists and psychiatrists have difficulty understanding our disorder because it is so complex. 
Don't expect to get all your answers answered, because for some there simply are no answers for that we yet know of. 
And just thank our lucky stars we're not living in the forties and fifties when lobotomies were standard treatment for folks like us. 
See. . . There's always a silver lining, you just gotta look harder for it sometimes. 
Keep your chin up as much as you can and don't battle it alone as that never usually ends too well and reach out like on here as u have! Well Done and best wishes to you on your journey to recovery. 

Hello and hugs @Lady101 , @Misty99 , @Friendly1 , @Bezak482 , @Former-Member , @greenpea  xx 

Hi, Like you I am new to the diagnosis. I first knew when applying for NDIS and my psychiatrist put it in his supporting letter. Now this psychiatrist has been treating me for well over a decade and to my recollection has never mentioned this diagnosis. He certainly has mentioned others.

I was in shock. But I can see why he finally did. There is a strong vein of mental illness running through my family on my mother's side. Not only in generations before me but sadly in younger generations beyond my 64 years. I have a range of physical, auto-immune and mental issues. I fight each day to stay alive and want to stay alive. 
After a suicide attempt my wife divorced me and the majority of my children cut off any contact at all. But I have friends who have been amazing in their support. Unfortunately none of them live in my city. The most important thing I am saying is don't forget about and value wherever you get support. I am writing this at 4:30 am. But I know Lifeline is a call away, if I can't ring anyone else. Air hugs my friend. 

Hi,
Like you, I had a fairly new diagnosis of schizophrenia over a year ago. Previously, I was diagnosed with bi-polar, depression, and psychosis. Firstly, i'll say again what others have said, stay on your medication. Everytime i've gone off meds, i've ended up in hospital, not a fun experience as you'll know. But I must say, i have achieved many things since the diagnosis. I've continued studying law, and am going for a job next week as a peer support worker. So another thing i'll say is, have hope, don't let the diagnosis say you can't do anything. I've even heard there's a woman who did a ted talk about having schizophrenia and being an attorney in the u.s. What a feat that is!!
I still struggle with loneliness, and isolation (probably because i've been in melbourne lockdown) but the delusions and hallucinations have stopped. Developing a support network helped for me too, peer support groups, GP, psychologist, friends, family,etc. Out of everything this has been my biggest struggle, loneliness, as most of my friends work full time. But I'm hoping with restrictions easing in melbourne i can occupy my time more effectively and going to work again. 

All the best to you, always here for a chat if you want.
nathan.

Hey don't feel bad about being diagnosed there are some really good stories out there about people living with schizoaffective and schizophrenia and leading really successful lives. Google it you'll be amazed. I'm in hospital at the moment and have the same diagnosis and I have met some lovely ladies I'll always call friends in here with the same diagnosis and we have normal conversations and run a muck a round the place having fun. Your diagnosis really doesn't define you as corny as that sounds you've got this don't give up! We're strong people.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance