Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Dark_Olena
Senior Contributor

NDIS help please

Hi,       My daughter is 19 and half and on the autism spectrum with I prefer Aspergers as a term, she has severe social anxiety and it trumps her Aspergers in having independance and moving forward.

I am in the process in getting her a plan with funded therapies with a NDIS planner. I am expecting a missed phone call from December in a few days now. I am in a flurry of panic as the psychiatrist clinic is training up a new medical typist and wont write up my daughters struggles for a report to help get us funding and asked me to ask my gp who is in Canada and when I asked the gps taking her clients for January, I get no contact what so ever.

My main worry is, am I expected to know what I need for my daughter? I am preferring being offered new therapies being suggested to me as the therapies we've  tried are of not much help.

I feel if I am not on the ball with this we could be rejected for funding. 

Have some of you carers become familiar with this NDIS NDIA  mystery, I need some help.

with many thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Re: NDIS help please

Hi @Dark_Olena

Welcome to the Forums 🙂

I hope you don't mind, but I moved your discussion thread because I think it was flying under the radar where you posted it originally.

Last year we ran a session in the Forums on the NDIS, which you can find here. The session was hosted by BreakThru who are a good resource. I learnt a lot about how the system has been set up and what resources are there to assist. I'm not sure if there will be anything new in there for you, but it might be worth checking out.

Are there any other members out there dealing with the NDIS?

Nik

Hello.

I work for an organisation that supports individuals and their families, living with a disability. The area i work in is specifically for people under the age of 65.

Due to your daughters diagnosis, she is certainly eligible for funding (however the amount and for what is unknown). 

No you should not be required to know what it is your daughter needs, thats why they have a planner discuss this with you, however so that you are better prepared and supported, I suggest you link in with an NDIS approved service provider in your area for Case Management. A provider that can link you in with the supports and services that you will need now and in the future. Having a Case Manager or Support Planner is helpful because they can work along side you as things change or arise. Hope this helps.

🙂

Thank you so much @Hopeless 

@Dark_Olena I hope you find this helpful.

Keep us updated on how you go - as many of us are in the same boat.

Nik

Thanks @NikNik and @Hopeless, didnt think this post would get a reply, so thankyou for doing so. Its all bewildering for me, this NDIS/NDIA. I've got too much going on in my mind with my MI and the grief of my sister suffering terminal cancer. I did have the planner meeting yesterday for 2 and half hours, told her our needs  wants and goal, so she is going to write up a huge file and sent that off to NDIA and meet with her again in 4 months. I got no idea where to look up new service providers list that is apparently somewhere on the mygov website, I cant find it.

My issue really is very limited resources/therapies for young adults on the Autism spectrum in our town anyway. Most programs for social interaction learning is for primary aged children transitioning to secondary schooling.

We are in a social skills course that is one on one, which I dont think is too beneficial and makes my more upset when initially I was told my daughter would be working in groups with others her age. Didnt happen. There is hardly any change with her social anxiety associatied apsergers. Bit tired of therapies that are not working. sorry for the venting.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance