Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

fairy_magic13
Contributor

My Anxiety & Depression

Hi There, 

I am new to this platform, my counsellor advised me to try this because I feel like sometimes I don't know people that have anxiety attacks like I do. I have anxiety and depression and it gets in the way of living a happy life. It comes and goes and is something I live through everyday. 

My depression is something that makes it hard to get out of bed in the morning. I work full time in a job where I am being bullied and from that have been messing up in my job, that triggers my anxiety every day. Things used to be great, and now they're not. The time I spend struggling with my mental health makes it harder to find another job.

I've tried medication in the past and it made me feel like an empty shell. I pushed through that phase of my depression without medication and got through it before, I still struggle with my anxiety attacks these days more on a regular basis now and it has become more "physical" anxiety attacks that can be pretty scary.  I know I have severe depression and anxiety. It helps to talk about it though because I dont know anyone who has it as intense as I do to be able to communicate with. Am I allowed to talk about what happens during my anxiety attacks? Not 100% sure in case it triggers someone reading this. Its nice to be here though. 

-f_m*13

8 REPLIES 8

Re: My Anxiety & Depression

Heya @fairy_magic13

I suffer from several MH issues and I can relate to you. 
I have really bad Anxitey and depression and sometimes I feel like I have no control over it. I hate having it but you just have to keep on fighting it, I've been to threapies and all of that and learnt statergies but sometimes they don't work and you need a little more help. 

I don't like getting out in the community much because is causes anxiety/Panic attacks that I can't control. 

im here for you if you would like to chat 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Welcome aboard! Nice username! 😊.

You are absolutely allowed to talk about what happens during your anxiety attacks. There are some things you can't talk about. For example, you're not allowed to name medications, you're not allowed to swear (which is just [...] [...] 😉), and you're not allowed to name super specific mechanisms of self-harm or eating disorder behaviour.

However, there's a filter that will automatically pull it up and tell you what you need to change. If not, a moderator will e-mail you letting you know what you need to change. Honestly, I don't mind that, so long as you know what to expect. Editing is really important anyway.

I hope you find people you can relate to, but I would definitely have confidence that you will.

One thing I will say is that you have to try and acknowledge when things ARE within your control. There's a process for reporting workplace bullying. If you haven't already, speak up to the offendor directly and let them know that you don't appreciate being made fun of or whatever. 

I know it's really hard, but that's what those processes are in place for. Everyone acknowledges that it's really hard to leave a job because you don't know when you'll find a new one.. so for that reason, you shouldn't have to put up with bullying. I really mean it.

Thanks for signing up and writing in! We're glad to have you here x.

@fairy_magic13 .

Good luck as I know how debilitating depression & anxiety can be

I can’t read your post because of the colour. I feel for you though, I’ve lived with panic attacks for many years.

Hi @fairy_magic13 , so sorry to hear of your workplace bullying on top of your mental health disorders.  

Yes working alongside people while trying to cope with extreme symptoms can be a problem.  I salute you for trying to get through it this far.  

Have you thought of getting a job where there is minimal supervision such as cleaning or lawnmowing?  I used to clean houses and had the hours I wanted and just had no problems with co-workers and bosses.

Its nice doing jobs like that as you have the flexibility to clock on and off as you wish.

I also had a relative with depression who worked at a library doing stacking.  It was a quiet job, easy to do and he was able to work at his own pace.

I hope you can come to some solution about how to resolve your employment and health issues.  Focus on solutions as they are more empowering then focussing on the problem Heart

Thank you so much for the support! It is so difficult being in a work place that affects your MH. I ended up leaving that job because it was too overwhelming. I am about to write another post about it all because a lot has happened in the last few weeks. But it's so nice to know that other out there care and offer support too, so thank you! 

Funny you say that about working in a library, because I've actually always wanted to work in a library! It's something that has always attracted me for some reason. Thank you all so much for the replies it means a lot more than you know! 

I changed the colour - apologies for that Smiley Wink

I'm very sorry to hear that you have suffered from panic attacks for that long. I've experienced it for so long too and it's not easy. It looks like this is a great platform to find support for that though and there are always people to talk to. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance