Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Memories

I'm sorry I fell asleep @Emelia8 

Yes you would be sweetheart. I'll be thinking of you. Please report in after? 

Back to sleep I'm a bit pooped. Night to you both x

@saltandpepper 

Will be thinking of you tomorrow @Emelia8 you're incredibly brave and I hope it goes as smoothly as possible for you

I also fell asleep too @Emelia8 @Anastasia but have been in and out of it all day. I'm trying to stop my mind from going back but I can't. I need to because it's making me feel so sick and my head is aching. But I can't control it. Still thinking about what happened to my brother.

When we were kids our bedrooms were next to each other, shared a wall. We used to do this thing of a night where we'd tap on the wall to keep each other awake. Just annoying each other. Makes me laugh to think about.

I remember sitting on my bed and hearing my brother screaming. Mum belting him. He'd scream, then sob, then scream, then sob. And i sat there crying my eyes out listening to it all. I wanted to go to him, to do something, but I was too afraid. Feel so mych guilt thinking about that. All the times he saved my ass and I just couldn't do anything. When mum had finished she came into my room. She'd told me not to come out. I think I've talked about this part before. I said i wanted to see my brother and she said no, told me to stay in my room, wasn't allowed out. I was too scared to do anything other than what she told me.

I rememeber later in the night I tapped on the wall. I was still crying like a baby but I couldn't hear a peep outta my brother. I tapped on the wall and nothing. I cried harder. I tapped again, still nothing. I desperately wanted to see him and know he was ok, but I couldn't do it. I was afraid I'd get caught, afraid of what would happen. So I just sat on my bed, listening out for any kind of sound from my brother, and cried, and cried.

I spent last night and yesterday morning just vomiting my guts up. It's not just the memories that come back but everything you felt back then too. I guess like reliving it in your head kind of thing.

A while ago I mentioned this memory to my brother, his response to it was that it was the kind of thing that happened a lot. I've no doubt, this is just the one instance I can remember clear as anything. He said it happened a lot, and in his voice I can hear he's angry, hurt by it. But he immediately follows it up with a remark about how he was a difficult kid and he probably deserved it.

It broke my heart to hear him say that. Our mum did such a number on us growing up that we both believed we were bad kids, deserving of this kind of treatment and so much more. Through therapy I've learned to challenge those thoughts. But my brother hasn't. He's still so completely brainwashed by her. I'm working on it, little by little, trying to get him to see things clearly. Sometimes he's receptive to it, other time's he's not.

It's 20 odd years down the track and I'm here vomiting my guts up and reliving the terror I felt back then while my brother sits there telling himself he deserved everything he got.

Fu*k I really hate our mother. 

Hello @saltandpepper 

I wish you and your courageous brother were my sons...

not that I always feel that I have done a great job but hand on heart I have provided them with a safe and loving environment as best as I can. Boys are the best, I am so blessed to have had two. 

I am so heartbroken for both of you I really am. I can't imagine being that terrified as a child it is no wonder you have the flashbacks, memories and the trauma now, again I am so sorry S&P.

@Anastasia Appreciate the thought but I can't change any of it hey. All I can do now is try and work through the shit and hope I come across people like you along the way.

It is oddly comforting to read your posts and see the way you talk about your kids. Just love pouring out of every post. It's heartwarming. You're a gem.

Thanks for all the love and support @Anastasia it means a lot to me

@Anastasia That dog is the best

Are you ok @saltandpepper ?

Getting there @Anastasia haven't vomited today, just feel like trash and can't get my brain to stop. It'll ease up though. Going out with some mates tonight--going to try anyway. Don't know how that will pan out. Hoping it helps.

How're you getting on? Your boy go ok last night?

I forgot to take my meds yesterday, think that's added to it all

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance